180G sump holes

Scott_OR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
So, I just ordered an Aqueon 180 gallon tank (I think I got a good deal) and I am building the stand myself. I want to do a sump design and have a 40G breeder tank and a Mag18 return pump. No ideas on the sump setup just yet, but my question is how to drill the tank.
I think I want to drill the back of the tank, but how many holes, how large, and how far apart? I have looked at glass holes and they have a 1500 gph overflow box that is narrow (2" deep) with 2 1.5" holes. The info says the recommended continuous flow rate is 500-1000gph. So would I need 2 of these? Two is always better right, but that would be 4 holes? Is one suppose to be for the return? Thanks for any initial help with this.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I wouldn't drill holes for the return. Just use rubber hose like you would with an eshopps setup. Any reason you want to drill it or would you consider using a hob overflow?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
The glass-holes overflow setups are pretty damn loud and inefficient. I was using a couple of em and ended up capping em off because they were crop.

Scott_OR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I have read a lot of info about the glass-holes overflows and it seems to be such a mixed bag. I like that I get all the necessary stuff (saw, bulkheads, lube, etc...) from one place. It seems like most are able to silence these overflows and I like that they are inside the tank. I don't want to do an over the top style. I would really like to hear from Egon since he has used these and get his opinion. Especially what kinda flow (2, 3, or 4 1.5" drains).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store