Bichir Tank Setup Advice!

TheMainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Maine
I am newer to aquarium hobby and have finally stepped out of my 15 & 20 gallon shoes and got a 40 gallon breeder. I set up a Magnum 350 with a Hydor 300 Watt heater. There have been a lot of issues with setting all this up BUT now that I am looking at everything working like it should I am super pumped! I am going to get a Delhezi Bichir and hopefully a pair of Convicts, Im looking for some good ways to set up the inside of the tank (decorations, cave ideas etc). I would like to avoid using driftwood because I have had issues with my smaller tanks and never being able to get rid of the tannis coloration that comes with driftwood(yes, I did wash/soak the wood for several days before adding it). I currently have some pool filter sand and it has left a bit of a cloud so thats why its not very clear in the pictures.

Thanks guys!

(The canopy I ordered was mislabeled and I needed some DIY magic to make it work lol)

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You better hope your Del likes to eat convict fry.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Well one thing that I don't think will work is if the convicts are a pair they will bully the bichir to death. As far as decorations the bichir will probably appreciate something to hide in or around. It won't really care what it looks like so if you want a pirate ship or a more natural look I'm sure it'll be happy with either route you go.

Reactions: TheMainer

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I agree with Dr. B, a breeding pair of convicts will beat up on the Delhezi. If you want convicts, get two of the same sex.

Driftwood, PVC or some kind of a cave would keep the Delhezi happy. They also like to hang out in tall / floating plants.

TheMainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Maine
So would getting 2 female convicts be a better plan?? I was only going off a suggestion given to me by a local fish store

TheMainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Maine
I was thinking of getting a pvc joint and using some form of aquarium safe glue and some sand/small river rocks to help disguise it into a nice cave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store