Least aggressive lungfish species?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Just a few questions:

1) Which species of lungfish is the least aggressive?
2) Will this species work longterm in a tank consisting of ornate bichirs, endlicheri bichirs, large clown loaches, a super red severum, large leopard ctenopoma, clown knife, and one datnoid or will it kill any of these tankmates or get killed by any of the other fish in my stock?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
300 gallon tank. Anyone have luck keeping lungfish longterm with fish in my stock? If so, which ones? Will a lungfish worth with large clown loaches longterm? Clown Knife? Ornate bichirs? Endlicheri bichirs? Severum? Etc?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
South American are safe with any fish. They won't even eat guppies. I also have doubts as to your other stock working together. The Endli will try and eat the loaches. The clown will try and eat everyone. Marbled Africans usually are safe but not always. No lungs like much current and they need a pretty good gap at the top to get air.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Forgo any african LF species. Lepidosiren paradoxa from SA and Neoceratodus forsteri from Australia are the only species that can be commed. L. paradoxa has been trending at about $75 - $100 for a specimen large enough to comm with other bottom preds. The AUL will run about 10 times the cost of a paradoxa (if you can find one)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Forgo any african LF species. Lepidosiren paradoxa from SA and Neoceratodus forsteri from Australia are the only species that can be commed. L. paradoxa has been trending at about $75 - $100 for a specimen large enough to comm with other bottom preds. The AUL will run about 10 times the cost of a paradoxa (if you can find one)
Just finding the AUL will be harder than paying for it. That's why I didn't bother to mention it.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I already have all the other fish. There are no problems. They've been together for years. The biggest endli I have is 20", the CK is 15", the other polys range from 14"-16", the loaches are 6"-8". The datnoid is in a grow-out tank till it gets big enough.

You're saying the Marbled lungfish may also work, but the SAL will definitely work? What are the odds of a marbled lungfish working? I'm just trying to keep my options open.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Okay, so you're saying to stay away from the Marbled, then. The consensus, I take it, is to go for the SAL. It will work for sure with all the other fish in my set-up? I may get rid of the CK for a Black Ghost Knife I have growing out in my grow-out with my dat. I just don't think a 300g is big enough for a CK for life. Is this tanksize large enough to house a SAL for life?

Nick2Sick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
I'm not very experienced but I'll chime in with how my African lungfish acts after having him for three months.
He lives in a 55 gallon with a ropefish and a blackghost knifefish, german ram, pleco, and some feeders/tetras.

I had some clown loaches which were big enough to fit in his mouth. He never bothered or made an attempt towards them, but they ended up dying of ich a few weeks after getting them. The knife fish and the lungfish ignore each other completely. The knifefish will brush against the lungfish and he doesn't do anything or even act like the knifefish is there.

Had a bunch of blackskirts and black neon tetras in there. He ate a few and left the rest. Why I'll never know but the ones that are left have been in the tank for 3 months. All the other fish have been near him and he doesn't really seem bothered. Ropefish likes to brush against him, and twice I've seen the lungfish nip at the ropefish, but he's never hurt him.

He doesn't wait or stalk feeders, if they are in front of him and he's hungry he'll suck them up. He goes through them fairly quick though, and he LOVES veggie wafers. Hope this can be of some help! As I said he seems pretty docile to me but I'm new so maybe that's how they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store