320 gallon side panel, repairable??

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
I needed 4 people to move my 265. It weighs over 400lbs empty. So yours will be more. The furniture dollies should work, that's how we moved mine.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
So...I'm just needing regular type glass right? Not tempered or any other style of glass??
I called on the pricing for a 30x29 and its only $58.00...A lot less than I was expecting and I did let them know it was 1/2 in thick and being used for an aquarium.

Should I have asked for a special piece of glass or something???

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
That's a lot less than I thought it would be too. But it sounds like you asked for the right thing. Usually only the bottom pane is tempered. Just make sure you measure the broken piece exactly so the new one is the same.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
Second place said 166.00...
I called the first place back and verified everything and the price didn't change.
I think the second quote priced polished or rounded edges and that is not needed, just some smoothing with some wet/dry at home...

Reactions: pdandy

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Like some others have said, do not use GE I or II, they are not meant to hold anything together, they are sealants, not adhesives. I'd recommend Momentive RTV 103 or 108 depending on if you want black or clear.

Also keep in mind while sizing the glass you need you need a 1/8" gap for silicone. I would also not recommend just taking out the broken piece and replacing it, I would fully take apart the tank and replace all of the silicone. Silicone does not stick to dried silicone, you will not get a proper seal just replacing the end piece and will likely run into leaks or a blowout in the near future, especially dealing with this much water and pressure you want to do it right.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
I know I have to reseal the whole tank, but thanks for the tips.

I'm running into a transporting issue. This tank is 8' long and all I have is a small car and a mid sized SUV without a hitch.

I can rent a small box truck for $120 but to be honest I'm tapped right now and the $100 alone is a stretch plus gas for the 2 hr drive, oh and my son's birthday is that same day I'm supposed to go get it...and on and on.

Since I have to reseal the entire tank anyway, I'm thinking it may be easier to move if I pull the silicone and disassemble the tank on site then I could possibly bring it home in the Pathfinder with the stand strapped to the roof rack... I may look like the Beverly Hillbillies but if it will work then I'll do it.

So what are your thoughts about the glass pieces wrapped in bed comforters/blankets and allowed to hang out of the back of the SUV about 2 feet?

Ok as I write this I realize how horrible it sounds ....but it may be the only way I can get it, this weekend at least.
Also in pieces would be easier to move into a vehicle since it will be just my wife, adult daughters and myself....

I'm screwed huh?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Might be able to rent an 8ft bed from home depot cheaply, I think it was quite reasonable. Taking it apart would be a lot easier because you wouldn't need 5 friends to help you carry it, my 300 gallon was 600+ pounds dry.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
Holy cow! That's heavy! I hope my floor can hold this thing...
Ya I just thought of the home Depot truck or I work at a Ford dealer also, but I'm fairly new there and not sure how "borrowing" a truck would work.. I know we get a good deal from avis when we need to put customers in a rental for recall repairs and such issues...
Looks like I have a couple of options to explore tomorrow. ....

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Holy cow! That's heavy! I hope my floor can hold this thing...
Ya I just thought of the home Depot truck or I work at a Ford dealer also, but I'm fairly new there and not sure how "borrowing" a truck would work.. I know we get a good deal from avis when we need to put customers in a rental for recall repairs and such issues...
Looks like I have a couple of options to explore tomorrow. ....
You'll want to have a place for it to go first and foremost, even if you just plan to fix it and resell you're going to need a basement or hopefully a garage. With water in it your looking at over a ton, so you will want to reinforce your floor, or keep in a basement.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
Ok so I'm on for getting this thing tomorrow, if I can get a reply back from the guy selling it.
I've decided the only way I'm going to be able to get it home is by disassembling the tank pieces and laying it all flat in my Pathfinder, the back door wont shut but I'll pad and strap it so it'll be safe and not bounce on and break the glass pieces.

My biggest issue is....I've never disassembled the glass pieces of a tank, especially this size. I've stripped and resealed an 30ish gallon octagon tank, but have never torn one down like this..

From what I've read and watched online is a thin putty knife or the sorts to cut the seal inside the top rim and carefully work it lose.

Tape up the edges to keep them from falling apart after the next steps.

Then use a thin razored box knife (with the break off pieces to keep it sharp) to carefully cut and remove the silicone on the inside corners.

Once that is done use some strong fishing line or guitar string (what else will work) to slowly saw down and through the silicone in the corners where the two side meet seperating the front from sides and sides from back.

Use the putty knife again to cut through the seal of the tank walls from the bottom rim and carefully trim silicone with the box knife between the walls and bottom glass until it can be removed.

Any help will be GREATLY appreaciated and if I need to modify any steps please let me know.

Another question is with the walls disassembled they will still be roughly 100lbs each? The 8 footers at least. Is it safe to move those by gloved hand or are the suction cups still recommended.

I will be wrapping them in blankets and laying a wood bed in the back of the truck first to keep it level and protected from nuts and bolts and tiedown in the back of the truck...

Again all help is needed and any is appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store