cichilds that eat huge prey

pperrotta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2015
When it comes to fish eating other fish, I can safely say my Leiarius pictus has eaten fish as big as itself. When he was about 4" he actually ate a 3-1/2" Acestrorhynchus falcatus. Speaking in terms of relative size, this was the most incredible things I had ever seen. That catfish has eaten more fish than any of my cichlids.

And as far as bass go, I know largemouth will go for anything up to about 50% their own size.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
When it comes to fish eating other fish, I can safely say my Leiarius pictus has eaten fish as big as itself. When he was about 4" he actually ate a 3-1/2" Acestrorhynchus falcatus. Speaking in terms of relative size, this was the most incredible things I had ever seen. That catfish has eaten more fish than any of my cichlids.

And as far as bass go, I know largemouth will go for anything up to about 50% their own size.
If largemouth bass were a cichlid, they would hold the title for tackle the larger prey and made all cichlids looks like they were eating snack sized ones....these bass are known for eating turtles, muskrats, small ducks, larger sunfish/crappie/bullheads/rock bass and even other bass. I had a 16" bass that had eaten a 13" walleye and still hungry for my lure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store