75 Gallon Piranha Tank

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Hi I am interested in starting a red belly piranha tank. My friend just got 5 juveniles and they are just stunning.
I currently have a 75 gallon with two 6-7 inch oscars and a 4 inch convict with an AquaClear 110. I do partial water changes everyday say about 10% and I've managed to keep my fish very healthy. I am now planning on changing to rb's.
My question is, using the same filter AquaClear 110 and doing 10% daily water changes, will I be okay with keeping red belly piranhas? I will buy about 7-10 juveniles and I will surely add more filtration soon as they get bigger, but for now while they are small will I be okay?

I'm not planning on keeping all 7-10 juveniles once they are larger. I will only keep 5 max once they get to around 5-6 inches

Last edited:

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Hi I am interested in starting a red belly piranha tank. My friend just got 5 juveniles and they are just stunning.
I currently have a 75 gallon with two 6-7 inch oscars and a 4 inch convict with an AquaClear 110. I do partial water changes everyday say about 10% and I've managed to keep my fish very healthy. I am now planning on changing to rb's.
My question is, using the same filter AquaClear 110 and doing 10% daily water changes, will I be okay with keeping red belly piranhas? I will buy about 7-10 juveniles and I will surely add more filtration soon as they get bigger, but for now while they are small will I be okay?

I'm not planning on keeping all 7-10 juveniles once they are larger. I will only keep 5 max once they get to around 5-6 inches
You will most likely end up with 3-4 Red Bellies in the end with a 75 gallon. They'll pick a "spot" in the tank because it's such a finite space and claim that territory for their own. Odd man out will most likely get eaten.

1) Make sure you keep up with water changes!!
When I had my RBP shoal, I would do weekly 50% water changes in my 120 gal.
2) Make sure you have a steady feeding schedule with a varied diet.
If you miss a feeding time/day, you could be faced with a floating head or two.
3) If you want to minimize the aggression, lower the tank temp to around 78 to 80 degrees.
4) Use the light sparingly or not at all.
Their pupils don't retract when hit with light.
5) Provide some nice hiding spots with vegetation to aid with skittishness.

Just some suggestions for ya. I hope ya enjoy them

Reactions: tlindsey

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
You will most likely end up with 3-4 Red Bellies in the end with a 75 gallon. They'll pick a "spot" in the tank because it's such a finite space and claim that territory for their own. Odd man out will most likely get eaten.

1) Make sure you keep up with water changes!!
When I had my RBP shoal, I would do weekly 50% water changes in my 120 gal.
2) Make sure you have a steady feeding schedule with a varied diet.
If you miss a feeding time/day, you could be faced with a floating head or two.
3) If you want to minimize the aggression, lower the tank temp to around 78 to 80 degrees.
4) Use the light sparingly or not at all.
Their pupils don't retract when hit with light.
5) Provide some nice hiding spots with vegetation to aid with skittishness.

Just some suggestions for ya. I hope ya enjoy them
thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
So is it better for me to just start off with 3 adults instead of getting 10 juvi's and waiting for them to grow up? someone in my city is selling 3 huge piranhas for $70

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
So is it better for me to just start off with 3 adults instead of getting 10 juvi's and waiting for them to grow up? someone in my city is selling 3 huge piranhas for $70
If I were you, I would start off buying anywhere from 6-10 juvies and grow them out in the 75 so they can establish their pecking order naturally.
It is also much more fun watching them grow through their developmental stages. The juvi stage, in my opinion, is probably the most fun to own them. They're bold, they're fierce, and much more active than the adults.
Plus, it won't take them long to grow. 1 inch per month is the general Red Belly Piranha growth rate.
I think it would be much more rewarding as a fish owner to watch your fish grow from a juvi to an adult; you can watch each transitional phase as it takes place.

Keep us posted with whatever you choose. Post pics!!!

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I would start with 6 babies they aren't as canabalistic as caribe and eventually u will prob end up with 3 or 4..... They grow an inch a month until 5-6 inches then about 1-2 inches a year ..... 10% water changes daily with an ac 110 will not be enought filteration for these guys as they grow.... Especiallly since you water volume is only 75 gallons for a shoal.... If I were you I would invest in a fluval fx6 and use it with the ac110 ..... I've kept multiple shoals my biggest being 26 .... Trust me get more filteration

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I would start with 6 babies they aren't as canabalistic as caribe and eventually u will prob end up with 3 or 4..... They grow an inch a month until 5-6 inches then about 1-2 inches a year ..... 10% water changes daily with an ac 110 will not be enought filteration for these guys as they grow.... Especiallly since you water volume is only 75 gallons for a shoal.... If I were you I would invest in a fluval fx6 and use it with the ac110 ..... I've kept multiple shoals my biggest being 26 .... Trust me get more filteration
6 baby reds in a 75 with an fx6 ac110 and at least 50% wc per week Will be fine

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
So I ended up only getting 6 because that's all my lfs had. Here's my attempt at pictures
What is the silver markings on some of their body? Are the hurt already?
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I'm not sure what you mean by 'silver markings'. They look fine to me. Great specimens!! Now, be prepared for them to grow rapidly in the next six months!

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
The silver markings I believe are missing scales ....they will nip at each other and there will be missing fins and scales but it will grow back ....no worries

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store