Could this be cataracts?

sdkinaz

Feeder Fish
Nov 14, 2015
I have a 5" geophagus that the center of his eyes has turned cloudy. You can see a black ring around the cloudy part and the lens covering the eye is clear. My fish guy thought it was eye cloud so I treated it with Melafix for two weeks with no change. None of the other fish in the tank have this and the fish seems healthy otherwise and does not bump into things and seems to see me. Could this be catatacts? Do fish get cataracts? If it is not cataracts what could it be and how should I treat it?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Not likely to be a cataract from what you describe. Most likely injured from a bump to the eye. They usually heal on their own but not always. If the eye looks swollen, you could dose with Epsom salt.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Melafix will have no effect on this. If your fish injured the eye clean water (large water changes) will help. Epsom salt is good if you see swelling as it draws the fluid out of the eye. If there is an infection Erythromycin would be the antibiotic of choice, most eye infections are gram positive. Not all or just any med will work. I see many people that just treat indiscriminately without knowing what they are treating, not all bacteria is susceptible to all medications. Water chemistry also plays a part in how effective some medications will be. If you have and issues or questions just ask and we will guide you through.

Reactions: boldtogether

sdkinaz

Feeder Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Not likely to be a cataract from what you describe. Most likely injured from a bump to the eye. They usually heal on their own but not always. If the eye looks swollen, you could dose with Epsom salt.
I don't think it is a bump to the eye because it is both eyes and the cloudy part is the same size on both sides.

sdkinaz

Feeder Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Melafix will have no effect on this. If your fish injured the eye clean water (large water changes) will help. Epsom salt is good if you see swelling as it draws the fluid out of the eye. If there is an infection Erythromycin would be the antibiotic of choice, most eye infections are gram positive. Not all or just any med will work. I see many people that just treat indiscriminately without knowing what they are treating, not all bacteria is susceptible to all medications. Water chemistry also plays a part in how effective some medications will be. If you have and issues or questions just ask and we will guide you through.
It is both eyes so I don't think it is an injury and there is no swelling. Just the center of both eyes are cloudy.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I apologize, I thought I read only one was affected.

I have a 5" geophagus that the center of his eyes has turned cloudy. You can see a black ring around the cloudy part and the lens covering the eye is clear. My fish guy thought it was eye cloud so I treated it with Melafix for two weeks with no change. None of the other fish in the tank have this and the fish seems healthy otherwise and does not bump into things and seems to see me. Could this be catatacts? Do fish get cataracts? If it is not cataracts what could it be and how should I treat it?

sdkinaz

Feeder Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Both eyes being cloudy, more likely a environmental issue. Nutrition can play a role. What do you feed?
I feed chiclid crisps, blackworm/earthworm pellets spirulina tabs and jumbo krill. Other fish in tank are another geophagus, several parrots, silver dollars, electric blue acara, firebelly and chocolate chilid, and two plecos. None of the other fish have cloudy eyes and all seem healthy. Water parameters are good do regular water chages with RO water. This one has me baffled. Fish eats good and is fat, and seems to see me, so I guess I will just keep an eye on it to see if it gets better or worse. I just don't want it to spread to the other fish if it is something contageous

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Trematodes will most definitely show as cloudy eyes...almost always....but that is just a guess...if the fish eats normal and shows no signs of any physical emaciation....it still could have flukes.
But poor water quality is more likely. You can have good water perameters and still have poor water quality... start with pH and go from there...really low pH can definitely cause these symptoms.
Is the cloudyness "on" the eyes or in the eyes? On the eyes usually means systemic..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store