Fluidised Bed Filter Flow rate problem

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
Hi,
my FBF is not producing adequate outflow even after changing powerhead flowrates and lighter media. Please suggest cause...
Thanks.

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
I am using white sand for FBFs, the powerheads are 1800 to 2000 lph at 1.5 to 2m head. The brands are Atman and Venus aqua - double nozzle,

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I am using white sand for FBFs, the powerheads are 1800 to 2000 lph at 1.5 to 2m head. The brands are Atman and Venus aqua - double nozzle,
I have never heard of or practiced adding air to a fluidized sand bed filter. It has been my experience that flow through a FSB should be slowernand steady. If the Altman pump you are using is a needle wheel pump, I believe that may be the issue....again, if you are adding air to the FSB...that may be the culprit....I wouls really like to see more details...l like pictures..

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
I didn't mention air....
the power heads have the typical impeller thing that is used in most power heads and pumps. thanks

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
making a sand filter work is tricky. because sand doesnt float, it has trouble moving around creating that whirlwind effect. size of the filter matters too. if its too wide or too narrow it can hinder the movement. a picture would help.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I didn't mention air....
the power heads have the typical impeller thing that is used in most power heads and pumps. thanks
You said a Venus Aqua double nozzle....thats an air pump according to Google....which begs the question.....have you Googled your question?
Have you consulted the owners manual?
Is the FSB a commercially available one?
Did you make it?
How much sand do you have?
Is it too much according to the specifications you got with the filter?
Is this a new problem?
You want help but are extremly vague...

The short answer is probably related to the media....either too much or too fine.
The long answer involves a little more give on your part...
By the way, if this problem with flow just started, probably is the pump and it needs to be addressed. If this is an initial setup and the flow through the filter isn't meeting your expectations, just be aware, if you are new to FSBs, these filters aren't usually designed for high flow...in fact, a balance of flow must be maintained to keep the sand fluid but not blow it out the discharge side of the filter.

Last edited:

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
Hi,
i was using the double nozzle Venus aqua powerhead by plugging 1 nozzle and using the other for the FBF.
Writing stories is an art that few possess. Its only the problem that i feel (as a problem) was narrated.
i do not like googling these specific questions , whereas my favourite blog exists.

Its a Boyu FBF FT 320 model, currently using sand provided by Boyu and the sand quantity is much lower than the minimum level.
I am sorry to have hurt you as disturbing anyone is a sin.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Hi,
i was using the double nozzle Venus aqua powerhead by plugging 1 nozzle and using the other for the FBF.
Writing stories is an art that few possess. Its only the problem that i feel (as a problem) was narrated.
i do not like googling these specific questions , whereas my favourite blog exists.

Its a Boyu FBF FT 320 model, currently using sand provided by Boyu and the sand quantity is much lower than the minimum level.
I am sorry to have hurt you as disturbing anyone is a sin.
No hurt here.....
Basically, this is a reactor/fluidised bed filter. The pump used for this needs to be fairly powerful, especially if sand is used as the media. I would suggest a pump, not a power head. If the filter is below the aquarium, you will need a much more powerful pump than if you were to hange the filter on the back of the aquarium. The closer in distance you make the filter with the aquarium, you will decrease head pressure on the pump and it will pump more efficiently.
So, either move the filter closer or get a more powerful pump.
If you have tried moving the filter and it doesnt help with flow, you must get a bigger pump. I believe your current pump is fighting head pressure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store