"8 Clown Loach With Possible Mouth Issue?

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
I just went through a 3 day Mardel Quick Cure treatment and have done a 90% water chnage yesterday. Could I start Paraguard and Kanaplex?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I just went through a 3 day Mardel Quick Cure treatment and have done a 90% water chnage yesterday. Could I start Paraguard and Kanaplex?
I would keep the temp up for a couple more days to make sure the Ich has been eradicated before starting a new treatment.
Or......
Remove said fish to a hospital tank and treat only the one fish....no sense in stressing the others with a new unnecessary med dosing.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't say the last part. Hospital tanks stress ME out. Always feel like the stress of just moving the fish and making them stay in a separate tank would kill them anyways. Then's there's the fear of putting them in a tank that was hastily setup and not cycled, etc etc blah blah blah

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I can't attest to the effectiveness on gill flukes as Ive never had to deal with them, but prazi pro claims to take care of them, and is super easy on scaleless fish. Could always try a round of that. I would think paraguard would do well on flukes as well...and as I stated before its great for sensitive fish.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would say yes. with that big of a water change there shouldn't be an issue. are you keeping the temps consistent doing huge water changes like that? In the future I would try doing 50% x2 over several days instead, for temp and ph consistency's sake.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hold off on the Paraguard and Kanaplex, don't go med crazy just because you have them on hand. If gill flukes are suspected, use PraziPro. As previously stated it is easy on most fish, including CL's. Target the problem, IMO never a great idea to take a shotgun approach when using meds.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Alright now I'm VERY worried about him. When I checked in on the tank he didn't immediately take off and go into hiding with the others. When he did he came right back out and keeps just hanging out in one corner and breathing extremely heavy. I'm going to call around and see if anybody has the Prazipro but if not, what else should I do? I have a feeling he's not going to make it. If I do find it, is there a way to administer an immediate heavy dose to try to save him?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hold off on the Paraguard and Kanaplex, don't go med crazy just because you have them on hand. If gill flukes are suspected, use PraziPro. As previously stated it is easy on most fish, including CL's. Target the problem, IMO never a great idea to take a shotgun approach when using meds.
As always go with RD's advice.

I hope I didn't make it sound like just dump the meds in like that haha, but I figured there wouldn't be any prazi on hand and that paraguard would probably do the trick in its place.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Alright now I'm VERY worried about him. When I checked in on the tank he didn't immediately take off and go into hiding with the others. When he did he came right back out and keeps just hanging out in one corner and breathing extremely heavy. I'm going to call around and see if anybody has the Prazipro but if not, what else should I do? I have a feeling he's not going to make it. If I do find it, is there a way to administer an immediate heavy dose to try to save him?
I'm still going with the paraguard if you cant get ahold of prazi pro, I would think it should effect the flukes as well...
the problem here is you may now be dealing with 2 separate issues, both with possible different approaches....how is the ich issue looking? any other fish showing any signs of that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store