6 Questions from Newbie; Please Help!

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
1. ARE WATER CHANGES NEEDED EVEN WITH GREAT TEST RESULTS?

I'm running a Fluval FX6on a 125 gallon tank with a total of 8 small cichlids in it (see signature). I have had the tank setup with fish for about 2 months and my water tests are all coming back pretty good. My most recent water test results was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0

Do I need to do a water change if my water tests all come back good? I had been doing it every two weeks, but I'm wondering if I need to with the tests results I have. Thoughts?

2. IS MY PLECO EATING?

I have a 2" pleco in my tank. My tank and water look pretty good, with little algae. I drop algae wafersinto the tank every few days but never see my pleco eat them. I've had him for about a month and he seems fine. Even if I do not see him eat...is he eating? Does he eat more than algae? Does he eat left over food my other fish may not eat?

3. WHAT HAPPENS TO LEFT OVER FOOD?

What happens to the food that my 8 cichlids (see signature) don't eat right away. When I feed them pellets and flakes, some sinks to the bottom. Do they scavenger for it later and eat it? Does my pleco eat it? My ammonia and other water levels are really good, so I assume I'm not over feeding them or they eat it at some point. Thoughts?

5. COVICT CICHLID NO LONGER A BULLY, NOW TIMID

I have 8 cichlids in a 125 gallon tank (see signature). All the fish are pretty small as I've only had the tank a couple months. My convict cichlid was the first (and only) fish so far to be aggression to the other fish. He even nipped at the larger Oscar. All of a sudden, he went from being the only bully in the tank to being timid and hiding much of the time. I never saw another fish fight back, so I'm not sure what happened. Does this sound normal?

6. ANGLE FISH...FIGHTING?

I added two Angle Fish to my 125 gallon cichlid tank. I know this probably wasn't the best idea because they may end up being killed when all the fish get bigger. When I brought the two of them the pet store told me they needed to be pairs so they would watch each other backs and bond. As it turns out, they do not swim together as much as I thought they would AND...one even nips at the other one. My cichlids have not started going after them, but they go after each other. Does this sound normal?

Thanks so much for any help!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You need to remove the Angel fish before they're stressed to death.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The nitrate level will increase with time. Unless removed by plants, or the food chain. I have heard of nitrate absorbing filter pads. A 5ppm not is good. At 10 ppm it will take a 50% water change to get you back were your at now.
A regular gravel vacuuming. Will help a lot in maintaining water quality. General speaking. With a canister filter all the gravel is just dirt in the carpet. The sooner it gets cleaned up the less water you will have too move later.

Some fish are very agressive. A plastic divider might be an option.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The nitrate level will increase with time. Unless removed by plants, or the food chain. I have heard of nitrate absorbing filter pads. A 5ppm not is good. At 10 ppm it will take a 50% water change to get you back were your at now.
A regular gravel vacuuming. Will help a lot in maintaining water quality. General speaking. With a canister filter all the gravel is just dirt in the carpet. The sooner it gets cleaned up the less water you will have too move later.

Some fish are very agressive. A plastic divider might be an option.
Not " is No3" nitrate spellchecker

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
1. ARE WATER CHANGES NEEDED EVEN WITH GREAT TEST RESULTS?

I'm running a Fluval FX6on a 125 gallon tank with a total of 8 small cichlids in it (see signature). I have had the tank setup with fish for about 2 months and my water tests are all coming back pretty good. My most recent water test results was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0

Do I need to do a water change if my water tests all come back good? I had been doing it every two weeks, but I'm wondering if I need to with the tests results I have. Thoughts?
Keep checking, your nitrates will get higher quicker as the fish grow and you feed them more.
You need to do water changes for reasons other than nitrate reduction. All my tanks have a max two weeks between water changes.

2. IS MY PLECO EATING?

I have a 2" pleco in my tank. My tank and water look pretty good, with little algae. I drop algae wafersinto the tank every few days but never see my pleco eat them. I've had him for about a month and he seems fine. Even if I do not see him eat...is he eating? Does he eat more than algae? Does he eat left over food my other fish may not eat?
You pleco is eating. There are other sinking foods that you can feed them.

3. WHAT HAPPENS TO LEFT OVER FOOD?

What happens to the food that my 8 cichlids (see signature) don't eat right away. When I feed them pellets and flakes, some sinks to the bottom. Do they scavenger for it later and eat it? Does my pleco eat it? My ammonia and other water levels are really good, so I assume I'm not over feeding them or they eat it at some point. Thoughts?
That food is scavenged by them and the pleco.

5. COVICT CICHLID NO LONGER A BULLY, NOW TIMID

I have 8 cichlids in a 125 gallon tank (see signature). All the fish are pretty small as I've only had the tank a couple months. My convict cichlid was the first (and only) fish so far to be aggression to the other fish. He even nipped at the larger Oscar. All of a sudden, he went from being the only bully in the tank to being timid and hiding much of the time. I never saw another fish fight back, so I'm not sure what happened. Does this sound normal?
Never had any experiences with convicts, so I will let someone else answer that.
6. ANGLE FISH...FIGHTING?

I added two Angle Fish to my 125 gallon cichlid tank. I know this probably wasn't the best idea because they may end up being killed when all the fish get bigger. When I brought the two of them the pet store told me they needed to be pairs so they would watch each other backs and bond. As it turns out, they do not swim together as much as I thought they would AND...one even nips at the other one. My cichlids have not started going after them, but they go after each other. Does this sound normal?
Angles generally work better in odd numbers. That being said, they need to be removed from that tank. They will either be killed or stressed to death. They dont mix well with the other cichlids.

Thanks so much for any help!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wc's will help fish growth, and replace necessary minerals.
Remove the Angels that was suggested, btw Angels are cichlids so there will be a pecking order among them.
Your pleco is probably eating, some pleco's rummage around when lights are off. Pleco may eat some of the food but that depends on the species of pleco, and I wouldn't consider them scavenger's.
Some of the food will break down, and this is when the bio-bacteria in your filter will take over. Very important not to over feed, or overstock! You will find out if either is happening by your test results.
As for the Convict it is not th dominant one at the moment. :)
Shake the hell out of the nitrate test bottles or you will get a false reading if using the API test kit.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
1. Yes
2. Pleco's are nocturnal and eat at night
3. Pleco will eat it, they are omnivorous and need regular food in addition to algea wafers
4. ?
5. Maybe Oscar nailed it, fish sometimes change 180 degrees, but as Arnie said, "he may be back"
6. Angels need to be kept in groups of 6, so either move them or add.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
You still need to do water changes regularly as stated above. One thing that has not been mentioned: if you don't do water changes as water evaporates it leaves behind all of the impurities. As more and more water evaporates, those impurities get more and more concentrated. This results in hardness levels that are off the charts and possibly high concentrations of heavy metals that are lethal to fish I.e. copper.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store