Tankmates for Moray Eels

godsbane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Singapore
Changing from a standard marine tank (have had one for years) to a pure predatory one.

Intended eels are the smaller ones - snowflake, ribbons etc.

Now I know lion fish will make suitable tank mates - how about scorpionfish and stonefish etc?

Anybody ever had luck with this particular combo? I had a painted frogfish die choked on a small lion fish before but it was only one unfortunate incident.

amzmoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
Changing from a standard marine tank (have had one for years) to a pure predatory one.

Now I know lion fish will make suitable tank mates - how about scorpionfish and stonefish etc?

Anybody ever had luck with this particular combo? I had a painted frogfish die choked on a small lion fish before but it was only one unfortunate incident.

Have a 30 inch snowflake that shares a 90 gal w/ sailfin tang, dwarf lionfish and blue damsel (used to be 2 damsels...oops) Generally a pretty calm tank. Gotta move the lion to a hospital tank though to medicate...eye issues. Yes, been stung by the lion and bitten by the eel. Being that careless puts me in a unique club. Actually, in both cases just looked away at the wrong moment.

godsbane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Singapore
I have 6 morays / 2 groupers / 2 lion fish / 1 scorpionfish at the moment.....anything but calm when live feeders hit the water ....
Especially the snowflake - this is my 3rd one over the last 10 years - really aggressive feeder.

I have been bitten by my eels and triggers multiple times ... never been stung by a lion though... heard its pretty damn painful ??

About to add one last fish which is the uber aggressive Volitans Lion - gloves on after i buy that fish..

amzmoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
I have 6 morays / 2 groupers / 2 lion fish / 1 scorpionfish at the moment.....anything but calm when live feeders hit the water ....
Especially the snowflake - this is my 3rd one over the last 10 years - really aggressive feeder.

I have been bitten by my eels and triggers multiple times ... never been stung by a lion though... heard its pretty damn painful ??

About to add one last fish which is the uber aggressive Volitans Lion - gloves on after i buy that fish..

Wow! What size tank? Or several tanks? Lionfish sting: Feels like 3x bee sting but pain grow by the minute. Got caught on the side of index finger. Gotta put it in as hot water as you can stand---breaks up the poison proteins as temps rise. Pain recedes after a couple hours. Swelling went down after a couple days. 1st two fingers stayed numb for a few days. Lesson learned? Maybe...my problem is I like to hand feed my predators. Must be a frenzy in your tank at feeding time! Hands out!

godsbane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Singapore
1 tank. 200 US gallons give or take? Its a custom build one and I never really measure its dimensions.....

Same here dude - I LOVE hand feeding my eels ! Not gonna try to do it with the lions / scorpions after hearing your story....

Absolute frenzy it is - I have started wearing gloves as my 2 plus foot long zebra has been smelling my fingers...

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan

Panther groupers seem to work well

amzmoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
My snowflake is a rather clumsy swimmer. My lion fish is generally active---mid-water---or hangs out on the live rock. In my opinion a stonefish and scorpionfish are more sedentary. They wait for prey to come to them. My fear would be that the eels would inadvertently bump into them and get stung. Just one man's opinion.

godsbane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Singapore
That was a concern a number of fish keepers told me...
Well so far its been 6 months - 2 groupers 4 Lions 9 morays. no accidents (yet).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store