Epoxy Paint for 3D Aquarium Background

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
Hello All!

I recently repainted my 150 gallon 3D aqua terra aquarium background. I've done it before 3 years ago and it needed a face lift. The gallon of Behr epoxy paint I had used recently was destroyed during Sandy. So I had to go out and buy another gallon. Now that I repainted it, it looks flat, boring. So I contacted Behr to see if I could get a quart of another color. Apparently they don't make quart size for epoxy paint.

Anyone know of anywhere you can get quart size epoxy paint? I seriously don't want to dish out another $40 for a gallon of paint I'm only gonna use a cup full of!

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Hello All!

I recently repainted my 150 gallon 3D aqua terra aquarium background. I've done it before 3 years ago and it needed a face lift. The gallon of Behr epoxy paint I had used recently was destroyed during Sandy. So I had to go out and buy another gallon. Now that I repainted it, it looks flat, boring. So I contacted Behr to see if I could get a quart of another color. Apparently they don't make quart size for epoxy paint.

Anyone know of anywhere you can get quart size epoxy paint? I seriously don't want to dish out another $40 for a gallon of paint I'm only gonna use a cup full of!
Sherwin-Williams. ...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
lowes or hd has epoxy pain in the size you need. last i checked it around 13-15$.
i usually just use any paint and let it cure for 72 hours then clear coat it. something
you can do in the future.

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
lowes or hd has epoxy pain in the size you need. last i checked it around 13-15$.
i usually just use any paint and let it cure for 72 hours then clear coat it. something
you can do in the future.
If going to use any paint, most paint departments sell small sample sizes of any mixed paint (latex - is this still safe to use after applying a clear coat??). If going this route you would have virtually every color under the sun available to you and the samples are only a buck or two each so you could get multiple colors to replicate textures and shadows

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
If going to use any paint, most paint departments sell small sample sizes of any mixed paint (latex - is this still safe to use after applying a clear coat??). If going this route you would have virtually every color under the sun available to you and the samples are only a buck or two each so you could get multiple colors to replicate textures and shadows
not to sure about latex paints since i use water based paints or acrylic paints but the
key is to seal it real good make sure its sealed 120%. you can use a 2 part clear epoxy
or uv resistant clear acrylic which is what i use to seal all my aquarium things from
plumbing(for things inside the tank), diy projects like decors or backgrounds to equipment.
my personal favorite is krylon uv resistant clear acrylic. i believe this brand can be purchased
in the u.s and canada, also comes as a spray can so easy to work with.

to the op. sorry for derailing your thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store