How to maximize tank oxygen

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Im trying to get as much oxygen into my tank as possible. In short what I know is that any agitation at the surface of the water is what creates the oxygen in the tank right? I have seen some big tanks with a long stick like piece at the bottom that shoots out massive amounts of air bubbles...thats whats on my mind now (is it good for this purpose), but what other ways can I increase my oxygen in tank for really cheap. Other wise I could just add another powerhead or something to agitate the surface?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
typically a tank with good filtration will have plenty of oxygenation, curious what the drive for more is.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Im trying to get as much oxygen into my tank as possible. In short what I know is that any agitation at the surface of the water is what creates the oxygen in the tank right?
Water agitation is the primary means of diffusing oxygen in water, however you can't "make" water have more oxygen than it's capable of absorbing. Temperature, salinity, barometric pressure, solubility of oxygen in water and the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere all affect the amount of oxygen found in an aquarium.

Agitation of the water throughout the tank (circulating water from the bottom and then agitating the surface) are the most practical means to maintain an efficient level. But it's limited by nature.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC183E/AC183E04.htm

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Airstones, a powerhead aiming at the surface and powerful filtration. Any specific reason you need extra oxygenation?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Powerhead aimed at the surface plus some nice air stones. If you have species that like flow, AJ, the powerhead to the side and place the air stone directly in front of it, works great for my stream tank. Not sure what kind of species you keep but for me I try to keep the water as cold as possible year round. The colder the water, the more O2 it can hold.

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
Anything you can do to increase contact between your water and O2 will increase oxygenation to a point. Increasing your PH and lowering temperature should also increase theoretical dissolved O2 maximums.

Reactions: tlindsey

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
spray bar or even lowering water level a few inches will increase O2 levels a fair amount

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
I learned from all replies. Thanks. I am simply setting up a new tank and knowledge of this subject is important. It is important for me to explore all avenues.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
A strong air stone will provide tons of aeration and help with good flow. If you don't have this but have an extra powerhead then aiming that at the surface is a good second option.
airstones are debatable on how much O2 they actually provide into the water column. Unless those bubbles that are hitting the surface are either huge or causing a really good surface break, airstones don't do a whole lot.
HOB filters are great for O2 saturation into your tank, another great option is if you are running a sump to either have the drain pipes or the returns above the water line, this will create excellent O2 levels as well. I personally keep my drain lines above the water line in the sump tank and my return below the water level to cut out noise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store