Setting up 300 DD for Hystrix rays, how does my plan look?

BriansAquariumCare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
Northern Virginia
I am getting a 300 gallon deep dimension Marineland tank (72x36x27). My plan is to have a trio of hystrix (females in first so they can settle in and start growing, then the male). I will have a 75 gallon sump that will include K2 or K3 media, but I am not certain of the exact layout yet. From that I will have an Aqua UV Ultima II 1,000 pond bead filter (nice backwash option).

I would like to use sand and usually use Estes Marine Sand (it is inert, doesn't alter any chemistry), but I am considering trying one of the best alternatives such as either pool filter sand or sand blasting sand, assuming I can get some color options (I usually do half black and half white with the Estes sand).

I will be getting a holding tank to dechlorinate the tap, let its pH stabilize, and get it to the right temp for big water changes. I plan on not altering the tap at all (I will have to check it, probably hard, municipal water in the mountains).

I would like to avoid those 'if I only knew' issues down the road so would like any and all feedback and recommendations before I actually get this thing running and find out I should have done something differently.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Sounds like a great plan! I have one of these 300 gallons and I must say, my rays and I love it!
If you are getting the marineland stand, dont get a 75 gallon sump. Get something allot shorter (height wise). The stand is no where near as high as I believe it should be and if you have a 2' tall sump, maintenance will be almost impossible (assuming you are going to put it under the tank). Also, the marineland stand has side doors that move towards the back. This means if you push it up against the wall, or less than 30" from the wall, you wont be able to open the side doors all the way, or enough for a 75. What we did was put the sump in the stand, since it has a plywood bottom, and move the stand against the wall with the sump already in it. We put the tank maybe 18" from the wall so I can fit behind the tank and do maintenance behind the tank if I need to. I've only had to go back there 2-3 times to adjust canisters or tighten bulkheads. You wont regret it.
Sand is great, rays love it. As long as the sand granules arent big enough to scratch the rays pr small enough to get into the water column and clog your filters and they dont have silica, you should be good.
Where are you getting this tank? I see you live pretty close to me so if you need a local seller, I can let you know.
I got mine at congressional. It was a bit on the pricey side but in the end, I couldnt have asked for better service or a better tank.
If you do end up breeding hystrix, put me at the top of the list
Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store