Anubias and Stingrays

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I recently added 4 species off Anubia to my ray setup. Was wondering if it was necessary to add some type of plant food, if so what?
Must be ray safe.

Hastafolia
Heterphyla
Coffeefolia
BarteriIMAG0334.jpg IMAG0336.jpg IMAG0337.jpg IMAG0338.jpg IMAG0348.jpg

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I'd buy some more if i were you.. my key to keeping plants with big fish is quantity.. whatever survives survives.. if you try keeping one very specific plant you can bet they will destroy them one by one..

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I see where you are going. I am interested in other plants also dont want to take from the foot print. Want that for the rays. But I am less worried about fish damage to plants on driftwood so is there other species that will attach to the driftwood? My other concern was nutrients for the plants. I have a couple leaves with some browning on edges but that can be attributed to the switch from nursery to my sump in 340 to this 600.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Yeah absolutely.. didn't mean for you to steal from the footprint.. there are lots of plants that grow from the roots.. and mosses.. your driftwood is big enough to house atleast 3-4 big plants withouth messing with the rays..

All i'm saying is that quantity is king.. there will allways be a certain grind to the plants when you have stingrays.. with only 4 individual plants there is the risk one misplaced bunch of food can kill your entire plant if they decide to trash it to get to the food.. what you need is an amount that from the beginning will ensure regrowth.. :)

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I'm just now seeing regrowth.. i do on the other hand have some l-numbers in my tank making my grind faster but just the rays have easily killed half of that.. haha..

20151127_001444.jpg

20151127_001503.jpg

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
You could go with java fern also, it will stick to the driftwood in time like anubias. Personally I like the clean look of anubias.
You don't need plant nutrition with anubias, they are low light and low maintenance plants.
But nutrition sure wouldn't do any damage, you'll notice greener leafs and faster growth.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
E ettfettbranamn Do you know anything about mosses? Have been researching christmas and weeping mosses both of which I really like. But my biggest concern is it becoming a nuisance and uncontrollable growing everywhere or it choking out the Anubias.

Nice pics by the way. What type of lighting are you using. I have two 10K 3000 LEDs
But they only run 3-4 hours on week days and all day on weekends. ( If Home)

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Cant really see it choking anything out as long as you give the anubias some time to settle in.. unfoetumately it grows slowly.. hence my tip of adding more of the same.. there are others more experienced on mosses than me..

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Yep, looking to order more Anubias. I want Gigantea but its only imported once a year and everyone has already sold out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store