My Brown Trout

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Love the set up!

I want to do a trout tank one of these days. Do you use a chiller? I also notice that there doesn't seem to be much flow in that tank.

Its very cool, but don't you need way more flow, a chiller (if you don't have one) and much more room?

Is this possible long term, i.e., keeping a brown trout or other such trout long term as a pet in an aquarium?

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
The trout is temporary. The tank is in my garage and is currently 65 degrees. In the spring I am taking it to my buddies private quarry where I got it when he stocked it. The quarry is not connected in any way to any other body of water and again is privately owned. It was an old limestone quarry that filled when a spring was hit.
There is not much current as of now. But I have a much larger pump coming and will make a spray bar.I don't believe trout can/should be kept long term. Unless you have a very large tank(500+ gallons).

The trout is temporary. The tank is in my garage and is currently 65 degrees. In the spring I am taking it to my buddies private quarry where I got it when he stocked it. The quarry is not connected in any way to any other body of water and again is privately owned. It was an old limestone quarry that filled when a spring was hit.
There is not much current as of now. But I have a much larger pump coming and will make a spray bar.I don't believe trout can/should be kept long term. Unless you have a very large tank(500+ gallons).
Its too bad, because trout would be cool pets, especially brown trout.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you think it'd be possible to keep a brown or rainbow without a chiller if there was enough aeration? I'd love to try some in the spring in a 33 long or 55 gallon I have (until they grow to large, then, like you, I have a local quarry 35 feet deep and cold I can take it to). By tons of aeration I'm talking powerhead rated for twice the tank size plus 2 or three air stone in front of it blasting bubbles at the surface. Ideally, I'd love to keep Brookies, but I'm certain they'd need a chiller. The room I'd keep them in ranges from 66-68° in the winter to 74-76° in the summer.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That trout looks he's breathing too heavy....add flow or chiller would be good idea.

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Do you think it'd be possible to keep a brown or rainbow without a chiller if there was enough aeration? I'd love to try some in the spring in a 33 long or 55 gallon I have (until they grow to large, then, like you, I have a local quarry 35 feet deep and cold I can take it to). By tons of aeration I'm talking powerhead rated for twice the tank size plus 2 or three air stone in front of it blasting bubbles at the surface. Ideally, I'd love to keep Brookies, but I'm certain they'd need a chiller. The room I'd keep them in ranges from 66-68° in the winter to 74-76° in the summer.
I don't think it should be done. Heck, I wouldn't be keeping the ones I have if it wasn't for my buddy getting some for his quarry. What I mean without a chiller water gets to warm even with a lot of aeration. My garage is unheated so the tanks will stay cool throughout the winter. Adding more pumps and powerheads,lights will increase the temps also. SO without an chiller I reallydon't think it would be possible to keep the in a room with air temps higher than 65 degrees. Air temps in my garage are around 60degrees now and tank temps are around the 65 degree mark. And as MN_Rebel pointed out my trout does look a little stressed even with 800gph turnover and a sump. I do have a bigger pump coming and will be adding a spray bar and possibly a aerator and air stone.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think it should be done. Heck, I wouldn't be keeping the ones I have if it wasn't for my buddy getting some for his quarry. What I mean without a chiller water gets to warm even with a lot of aeration. My garage is unheated so the tanks will stay cool throughout the winter. Adding more pumps and powerheads,lights will increase the temps also. SO without an chiller I reallydon't think it would be possible to keep the in a room with air temps higher than 65 degrees. Air temps in my garage are around 60degrees now and tank temps are around the 65 degree mark. And as MN_Rebel pointed out my trout does look a little stressed even with 800gph turnover and a sump. I do have a bigger pump coming and will be adding a spray bar and possibly a aerator and air stone.
Okay, thanks for the info. I'll probably just wait until I can get a chiller then. Some day, I'll have that 1,000 gallon stream tank with a dozen wild 18" Brookies, some day. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store