Help Sex a texas cichlid?

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
That's what I was thinking, and yeah I didnt really want a geo, I accidentally got it mislabeled at the store. It's cool though because it's my first cichlid and already whenever i come in the room he's out and staring at me. Sometimes he even chases my finger around, and the whole time I'm thinking "how can fish be this cool and I thought oh its a fish how lame" haha

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Haha I love the eartheaters, except that my plants get dug up occasionally. They've got unique behavior traits that add to any tank. Texas cichlids aren't really gentle per-say so thats why recommended removing the geo

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Yeah, the geo was cool, but defiantly not what I was looking for. He was a hider and with the texas, he is always curious in me and what I'm doing, which I think is really cool.
Surprisingly, the geo chases the texas around right now, but nothing serious, and the geo will be removed soon.

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
That's a sweet texas.
And nice pictures. How did you get your's so clear? My fish always swim away when they see my camera.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
That's a sweet texas.
And nice pictures. How did you get your's so clear? My fish always swim away when they see my camera.
He's the laziest piece of crap lol he moves around but most of the time he's in his cave or swimming around slowly. He's very docile but he does get angry at times and he's very tough.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To tell the gender with these Herichthys, you look at the dorsal fin, and the slope of the forehead.
If its female it often has a dark blotch (this can come in and out), and it has a more torpedo shaped profile.
Males only get dark in the dorsal when raising fry, and it forehead is high,
Here are some examples. female below

same female, a bit younger, but you can still see a darkening in the dorsal, also note the gentle slope of the forehead

Now male below, no dark blotch in dorsal, high profile

Now the pair together, when spawning the gender difference almost disappears

Below are some youngsters, even a this stage you can tell the male in the middle, from the female left, by the more dramatic slope of his profile

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed post, that was a much better explanation than I found online. That makes a lot more sense now that I know to look at the foreheads slope and the dark spot is on the dorsal fin, not just the side.
Again, thanks a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store