125 discus start!

We have 6 discus in our 55 already lol. We've had the loaches in with the discus for about a month since we decided to sell our tanks to get this 125. They've been fine. All they do is circle this piece of driftwood. They chase each other and almost look like dolphins. Good so far. Will keep a good eye out.
Keep the discus you have. Don't add any more. Let them stretch thier legs a bit and build around them with tetras.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You should be ok, moving the 2 established filters over but it would be a good idea to also move all of the decor(plants, rocks, driftwood, ornaments) over as well until the new tank and sand establishes bb. After about a month, you can start removing the decor you don't want to keep in the new tank.

1 bag of pfs will cover the 125, its just a matter of how deep of a substrate you want. I believe 2 bags of pfs will easily yield 2" depth of substrate in the 125.

In regards to your stock, 25 rummies and cardinals will be just fine, you don't need 50 of each. I would nix the loaches as they may harass your discuss and out compete them for food. I would also not do BN but rather add about 10 ottos to control algae.

Your Finnex lighting is designed for plants, so you will probably have a constant issue with algae, so get a regular LED light will decrease this situation.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Before you start adding fish, you're going to need to add a filter that holds more bio-media. I recommend the Sunsun 304B. It will hold all the bio-media you will ever need for your tank and stock plan, and will cost you less than $100

Before you start adding fish, you're going to need to add a filter that holds more bio-media. I recommend the Sunsun 304B. It will hold all the bio-media you will ever need for your tank and stock plan, and will cost you less than $100
mmm.. a good tip.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
I believe I'm getting 2 of those for Christmas. Until I get them I'll be doing extra water changes. I usually do 80% every other day in the 55.

Also as far as water changes on a tank this large, how much do you do? That's a ton of water to change 80 and 90% every other day lol

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
And won't be adding any more fish than what's in the 55 for a while. Got a new floor installed where this tank is. Gotta pay for that before any new fish!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I believe I'm getting 2 of those for Christmas. Until I get them I'll be doing extra water changes. I usually do 80% every other day in the 55.

Also as far as water changes on a tank this large, how much do you do? That's a ton of water to change 80 and 90% every other day lol
For all my tanks, I do 50% every 3-4days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store