Retropinnis? ID

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I picked this guy up today, we rarely get anything other than a del or sen at my lfs so I jump on a bichir if it's a species I can keep long term. I think it's a retro, just wanna be sure. Sorry for the bad quality, don't have a fancy camera to take pictures with. I tried using flash against the glass with my phone.
View attachment 1150293 View attachment 1150294 View attachment 1150295 View attachment 1150296 View attachment 1150297

Nice ! Like the black wolf also.:)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and I'll do that. And thank you, the black is the main focus lol but what's a tank without bichirs?

Reactions: HumanBean

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yar that Wolfie was kool. I looked that pic and thought wait a minute where is the poly lol
Yea I started a thread for him just haven't Updated in a while I haven't got around to it. I wanna make one for these 4 bichirs

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
retro. And i would worry about that curu going ham on it.
No, bichirs are the only thing he leaves completely alone for whatever reason, he could've eaten my sen when I first got him, the Senegal was half his size and much thinner. Idk, I guess it's just my specimen. Thanks for the concern lol he's been the Senegal and ornate were in there before he was even, so he's had plenty of time to try them out and he hasn't then I got the lap and he could've snacked on him but didn't. So bichirs, are safe as of now, maybe his attitude will change one day. But I've had good luck up until now, hopefully I keep that luck

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
No, bichirs are the only thing he leaves completely alone for whatever reason, he could've eaten my sen when I first got him, the Senegal was half his size and much thinner. Idk, I guess it's just my specimen. Thanks for the concern lol he's been the Senegal and ornate were in there before he was even, so he's had plenty of time to try them out and he hasn't then I got the lap and he could've snacked on him but didn't. So bichirs, are safe as of now, maybe his attitude will change one day. But I've had good luck up until now, hopefully I keep that luck
Same here. my curu does the same. doenst bug the polys. But idk i have awkward feeling about it. seeing a old post's got mee in the feels LOL. mine used to nimble at first. now its pretty chill Looks nice a thick!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Same here. my curu does the same. doenst bug the polys. But idk i have awkward feeling about it. seeing a old post's got mee in the feels LOL. mine used to nimble at first. now its pretty chill Looks nice a thick!
I've never witnessed him show any interest in them honestly, he acts as if they don't exist. And is it the post where the curu at a same length endli? I feel you there, on being a reason to be cautious. And yea yours has thickened up! I remember when you first showed a picture of him, even mine if I post a pic now and compare it to before, he's gotten thick too!

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Congrats what an awesome find !!! I love when into a LFS and see something you were not expecting. Retros are one the prettier bichirs. Here's a photo I stole of a Retro, mine is too small to capture a decent image. I just threw my 4" palmas polli in with the 6"-12" big guys and my weeksi tried to eat him thus killing him. So be cautious when predator intention you think you got a ahold on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Congrats what an awesome find !!! I love when into a LFS and see something you were not expecting. Retros are one the prettier bichirs. Here's a photo I stole of a Retro, mine is too small to capture a decent image. I just threw my 4" palmas polli in with the 6"-12" big guys and my weeksi tried to eat him thus killing him. So be cautious when predator intention you think you got a ahold on.

View attachment 1151804

View attachment 1151805
Thank you, he fits in perfectly with the Senegal and lap, the ornate hides most of the time. And yea, they had what looked to be a big lap, it was real thick and maybe 14 inches, I wanted it but I didn't trust it. I don't know bichirs as well as I know wolves to trust it as I did with my curu. Sorry to hear you lost the polli. I wanna get some more upper jaw bichirs, a del is next. And nothing's ever for sure, so I know my curu can switch up on any day that he pleases, but I trust him. If anything I have something I can temporarily house them in while making arrangements for them etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store