Growing out a jag question

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Just a little update. I was having a real issue with them finding food in the 75. I would feed and it seemed like they were uninterested unless a pellet passed REALLY close to their view. Probably about 75% of it would end up stuck to the filter intakes getting all gross and fuzzy. Both of them weren't really swimming and spent all day hiding in the pots. I decided to move them to my 40G with just a sponge filter w/ airpump and now they are swimming around, gobbling up the food as it comes. I think the flow was too strong and the space was too big for these little guys.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have not had any issues with my jag fry growing out in any tank, they learn quick when super time is and how to get it. tanks being, the 95g, 180g, or the little 11g at work. they do not grow as fast as say an Oscar, but he will be grow at a nice clip. as for being an F2 this is not a valid term, you have wild caught and then F1, there is nothing after that but a tank bred fish. either way great fish , i love my jags!! here my little F1 from my wild caught pair.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
My little guy is growing too, I know he was getting to the food. I just felt like a good portion of it was wasted and rotting. Just started introducing frozen to his diet today since he's probably a little over an inch now. I'm actually planning on him not growing too fast. I'm going to be moving my discus out of the 75g once my 55g is done curing and I still need to seed filters for the 55g. I also need to build the stand for the 55 also... and get ahold of some slate tile. Haha. Lot's of fun ahead.

I'm kinda new to the whole 'F' jargon and I guess I wasn't explained it properly at the LFS. He said that central american cichlids are all new to him. My little guy is the Result of, here it is tricky. The offspring of a wild caught pair so, F1?. Then that F1 and a Wild Caught F0?. So F1 + F0 = My little dude.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am not sure how the wc, bred with a once removed f1 work out on the skeam of things, good to know not a inbred progeny of a brother and sister. he is as close you can get to a F1 you can get. with out being a true F1, if that makes sense? just no classification for a F2 .

Reactions: Lawlboom

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Well they couldn't play nice and are too small for lightning diffuser divider. Had to improvise. The jaguar was going berserk. Decided a little fin damage was alright but this was all out war. Added him and the jewel to my 40g that only had a salvini in it.

KIMG0087.jpg

Last edited:

Mandamota

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Eugene, Oregon, USA
My jag, a male I got for delivering a tank 100 miles away, is mean and will mess things up just for fun. He's only 7-8 " and is alone in a 90 for now. Smart, vicious, beautiful!
Can't believe you paid $24! That's awesome...

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yeah my wc to F1 jags act a lot more natural than the usual pet store variety I use to have years ago so you definitely came out good on that end. Its also interesting how different they can be depending on the collection point.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
As to the question of the WC breeding to an f1, it is still a F2 fish. The generation still go on and they can't go backwards. You can't make generations go in reverse, sadly, lol . If it has f1 genes, it can't just disregard them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store