Where can I buy sticklebacks?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I am interested in breeding sticklebacks, but I can't seem to find a supplier outside of Europe. Any ideas? I'm in Florida so I can't just catch them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
See if you can get in touch with Mike at http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/ . He doesn't always list everything on his site that he is selling.

Also, you might wish to try to figure something out here: http://btdarters.com/index.htm . They have Brook Stickleback for sale now but they don't appear to ship to Florida. You might be able to work something out, though.

Aquabid.com will also occasionally have a couple listed in their natives section.

What species exactly were you looking for?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Thanks! I don't know the species very well, but I would prefer the 3 spine because I know they get colorful when breeding (red bellies, blue eyes) and they are a larger species. Other species may also, but I am not sure. The brook stickleback seems a bit drab to me but perhaps the pictures I found don't do it justice. I'd like to keep to the more-freshwater species if possible, but a pair of fifteen spines would be cool! I checked aquabid yesterday but wasn't able to find any current listings.

Donnie Baker

Banned
Dec 9, 2015
I found some in the live bait section at Gander Mountain, ive found lots of cool stuff there.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Great tip! The store I called in Tampa said that they do not carry them and they are not aware of the other Florida stores having them either. Did you find them up North or something?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Pomatomus, Brook sticklebacks are in north, and they don't live in Florida.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Pomatomus, Brook sticklebacks are in north, and they don't live in Florida.
Yeah I don't think any sticklebacks live here, at least not this far south in FL. I'm currently looking for a US supplier (shipping is fine) for 3 spine sticklebacks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I get sticklebacks in almost every dozen fathead minnows I buy at the baitshop. The shops don't sell sticklebacks as bait but they have stowaways in most of the tanks. if the baitshops cool, ask him to help you net some of the minnies out and see if there are sticklebacks in the group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store