Before or After Water Softener

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Im in Southern Indiana and our tap water comes out to 7.8. I as well as a few others around here have no problems with Peacock bass. I would do before the water softener.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
With my freshwater fish I use the water from my well after the water softener. I have used all types of salt in the softener with no ill effects. With your PH that high you may need to lower it if your keeping something other then africans.
If you have a iron problem with your water you don't want your fish swimming in it.

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
Im in Southern Indiana and our tap water comes out to 7.8. I as well as a few others around here have no problems with Peacock bass. I would do before the water softener.
Tap water is, in most cases, taken from rivers and reservoirs. Well water is a different animal as to get there the water must travel through layers of soil and rock which can drastically change it's Ph.

In the closest town to me the water is 7.5 out of the tap. My well is near as makes no difference 9. A water softener would make no difference to me as my hardness comes from KH (around 400ppm) not GH. Another fun thing about well water is the pressure usually isn't high enough to make RO/DI units practical. The best option is to keep africans, the only other options are to truck in water, or add acid to well water to lower the Ph to desired levels. Thankfully muriatic acid is cheap and available.

Reactions: tbrown7552
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store