Monodactylus Argenteus & Sebae in Freshwater?

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I'm in the process of buying an aquarium that comes with fish. It is a freshwater setup, mostly cichlids and silver dollars. There are two monos, one Argenteus and one Sebae. They are around 6" to 7" and look fantastic.The aquarium is large, 680 gallons, and well decorated with plants, boulders, and wood. The current owner said that basically, once a fish goes in the aquarium it is almost impossible to get it out. So, before putting the monos in, I want to make sure they will do fine long term (their life-span) in the freshwater setup.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Will need a heavy brackish/salt setup for the Argentus eventually. The mono will need to be in salt water as an adult.

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Will need a heavy brackish/salt setup for the Argentus eventually. The mono will need to be in salt water as an adult.
Okay, thank you for the info. So, keeping them in freshwater long-term would be very bad for them. The problem is they will be almost impossible to catch once they are in the aquarium.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes. Keeping them in fresh water will shorten their life's ok and make them prone to infection.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
I'm in the process of buying an aquarium that comes with fish. It is a freshwater setup, mostly cichlids and silver dollars. There are two monos, one Argenteus and one Sebae. They are around 6" to 7" and look fantastic.The aquarium is large, 680 gallons, and well decorated with plants, boulders, and wood. The current owner said that basically, once a fish goes in the aquarium it is almost impossible to get it out. So, before putting the monos in, I want to make sure they will do fine long term (their life-span) in the freshwater setup.

My experience with Monos in FW is that they never looked good and they were prone to disease. They always looked better and were more vigorous in the higher salinities, closer to full strength seawater.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Another fish to consider that would do well with monos is the Florida Pompano. Although not generally kept in aquaria, the juveniles should fit in nicely. They are fast moving and can tolerate salinities as low as 5 ppt, although generally considered a marine fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store