Least aggressive lungfish species?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm not very experienced but I'll chime in with how my African lungfish acts after having him for three months.
He lives in a 55 gallon with a ropefish and a blackghost knifefish, german ram, pleco, and some feeders/tetras.

I had some clown loaches which were big enough to fit in his mouth. He never bothered or made an attempt towards them, but they ended up dying of ich a few weeks after getting them. The knife fish and the lungfish ignore each other completely. The knifefish will brush against the lungfish and he doesn't do anything or even act like the knifefish is there.

Had a bunch of blackskirts and black neon tetras in there. He ate a few and left the rest. Why I'll never know but the ones that are left have been in the tank for 3 months. All the other fish have been near him and he doesn't really seem bothered. Ropefish likes to brush against him, and twice I've seen the lungfish nip at the ropefish, but he's never hurt him.

He doesn't wait or stalk feeders, if they are in front of him and he's hungry he'll suck them up. He goes through them fairly quick though, and he LOVES veggie wafers. Hope this can be of some help! As I said he seems pretty docile to me but I'm new so maybe that's how they are.
Is this a Marble or WAL? My experience says there is a huge difference in aggression and a Marble can get over 6' long and 40 or so lbs.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
I have my SAL with some SA Cichlids (Angels, Severum, Geophagus)
So far, all is good. He hasn't been tempted to eat any

My lfs has some nice sized Birchers (about 20cm) and I was tempted. But I am scared to take the chance.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have my SAL with some SA Cichlids (Angels, Severum, Geophagus)
So far, all is good. He hasn't been tempted to eat any

My lfs has some nice sized Birchers (about 20cm) and I was tempted. But I am scared to take the chance.
You don't need to be worried about the SAL having lunch but the polys might if there was a big size difference.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
You don't need to be worried about the SAL having lunch but the polys might if there was a big size difference.
Would the Poly be safe with the lung?
Both being bottom dwelling species, and both wanting to hide behind the wood etc?

Other fish in the tank are quite big. At least 3 inches.
So I would imagine they would be safe from the Poly.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
No problem. Poly will be fine.

Nick2Sick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
Is this a Marble or WAL? My experience says there is a huge difference in aggression and a Marble can get over 6' long and 40 or so lbs.
Sorry I'm replying over a month later I haven't been on haha.
I'm pretty sure he's not the marbled, he's spotted instead.

Attached is him when I first got him. Sorry for the quality, haven't had time to take any good pictures of him.

Snapchat--2774686478427408317.jpg

Reactions: Red Aimara
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store