Clown loach tank 350 Litres

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Posting this in here as I am setting up a clown loach species tank. About to pull the trigger on a nice corner 350 litre corner tank.
See here...
http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Pro...igon-350-black.html#!juwel-000000000000015300

I have previously been a big fan of the FX5 filter and used to use it on my 220 litre bowfront. Was looking at an FX6 and having the guy remove the internal filter from the inside of this aquarium before I get it delivered. Now this is obviously a decent German made product, should I just leave it in and forget a canister? I have my doubts about how well it will perform? If I am going the canister route, I am deffo taking the internal out for extra space etc, but this invalidates the 5 year warranty on the tank in that case. I know it's not difficult to remove the internal filter as it's just siliconed in? I wonder if anyone has this aquarium on here and could advise.

I am setting up a clown loach species tank, so it is important I have a plan here. Should I leave or take out the filter? I know this species needs large turnover, but I can do large regular water changes and have powerheads. The internal filter specs are on the page I linked to.

Advice appreciated.

Reactions: convict360

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Imo I have a jewel 400 always had an internal filter. Removed it about a year ago for an fx5 and it was by far the best thing I've done. I have around 7 clowns in my tank plus another 15 fish and it is a quality filter aslong as you don't over feed you will be fine.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I run fx5's and 6 and I can tell you that the clowns are messy eaters and the fx filters will collect every bit of food particle in the water. I don't even have the sponges in mine anymore cause it clogs them up that fast. I run a aqua clear 110 now with the Fx6 with no sponges and still do 60/75% water changes a week... The AC110 is easier to clean than the fx so it has the sponge. It's gonna just depend on how many clowns you pack in.

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
What is your substrate? I know that fine sand can be problematic with Fx5s/6's. I used to have small stones in my clown loach tank, this would be best for the filter but maybe not the loaches?

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
For substrate check out Caribsea torpedo beach sand. It's not as fine as traditional sand and works great with my FX-6 and clowns in my tank.

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
I would run the internal and either an FX or AC filter in addition. Its always good to have a back-up.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
What is your substrate? I know that fine sand can be problematic with Fx5s/6's. I used to have small stones in my clown loach tank, this would be best for the filter but maybe not the loaches?
I have big and small gravel.. My geos and clowns suck it in and spit it out. So far when it gets into the Fx6 it sits in the bottom of the canister but if the rocks are big enough they can sometimes get stuck into the top part of the impeller that pushes the water out.

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Thanks guys. Going to take out internal, giving me space and use an FX6 to filter. I am looking for ideas for mid water fish to keep with the clowns. Looking at around 10 clown loaches so or, a red tailed black shark and some mid water. I am trying to keep the tank realistic to a natural habitat, suggestions for fish that actually exist with the loaches in nature please?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Thanks guys. Going to take out internal, giving me space and use an FX6 to filter. I am looking for ideas for mid water fish to keep with the clowns. Looking at around 10 clown loaches so or, a red tailed black shark and some mid water. I am trying to keep the tank realistic to a natural habitat, suggestions for fish that actually exist with the loaches in nature please?
Ahhh I was going to suggest tiger barbs, since they shoal with clown loaches and are just as silly and playful; but I don't think they're from the same habitat :(

Worth a thought though, if you can get past the geographical distance; very rewarding set-up :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store