Syncrossus berdmorei - Killed my Green Texas cichlid???

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I think my 7 inch Syncrossus berdmorei killed my 4 inch green texas cichlid? Is this possible? Here is what happened...
I was watching my aquarium and the two of them got into a small scuffle. The Syncrossus berdmorei then thrust its head into the cichlid's left gill and started shaking violently back and forth. Next thing I knew, the cichlid is floating away, gasping and jerking and pretty much just dying a slow and unexpected death. I tried holding the cichlid in front of some powerheads for a couple minutes trying to oxygenate his body, but... he took a couple last gasps and pretty much died in my hands.
I know loaches have very sharp barbs on their heads that they can use as weapons for defense or when threatened...Is it possible that my Syncrossus berdmorei used its barbs to injure and consequently kill my green texas when he shoved his face into the cichlid's gills? I can't make out any other reason for why my cichlid died like that...but also have never personally seen or heard of a loach killing a fish in this manner...Totally stumped here o_Oo_Oo_O

Anyone ever seen this happen or know if it is even possible...? Thanks.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Wouldn't surprise me, many loaches have spines on their face or sides for exactly the purpose you described; clown loach for example, can pierce your skin quite painfully. Really bad luck

Reactions: HumanBean

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I own 3 different kinds of tiger botia's and they are all nasty. They fight with each other and will fight with anything that they don't like. You can here them crack at each other when fighting. Pretty sure they have a needle like object that stabs out there mouth. They aren't called tigers for nothing lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store