New vatf

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Seems to be feeling his oats a bit tonight nipping at some of the silver dollars. Anyone else's vatfs in this size range getting a little attitude?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IS he the alpha? You've got a larger Aro in there don't you?

Mine gets a little nippy from time to time but not sure if its cause Odoe and ATF are natural enemies or he just gets a little moody with teeth shedding but he doesn't act up long enough to justify moving.
I wish all ATF got along with other stuff like Vittatus do.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
He is definitely the alpha as I no longer have the aro. I'm hoping I don't have to add another bruiser just to keep him in check.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I don't think you want to keep him "in check" if he's the dominant then let it be that way. ATF don't do well if they get bullied.
That's why you use a peaceful larger fish that will just intimidate the atf with its size, such as a larger black aro specifically, silvers can be more aggressive, but would probably be fine too.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I don't think you want to keep him "in check" if he's the dominant then let it be that way. ATF don't do well if they get bullied.
Thanks. Basically what moe said. I had a larger black aro but now that he's gone the vatf is ruling the roost and letting the others know he's boss. I'm fine with that I just don't want him to start taking the others out.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I had good luck with a black aro as well.

My ATF would all go through random fits of buttholeishness. It was generally attributable to their teething. Silver dollars were always a popular target during those fits as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store