gar help needed

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
I got two spotted gars on Wed. they are about 6" I can not get them to eat anything I have tried blood worms, shrimp even crickets I am trying not to feed live but if I need to I will does anyone have ideas of what I should do?

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Try cut tilapia. Might take them a bit. They're still pretty young. Where did you get them? I've been looking for spotted gsr.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Fry are always nervous of becoming a meal for larger fish, ...even their own kind. Provide them with some surface vegetation to provide them some sense of security. Then, offer live fish as food. Once they're feeding you can wean them onto floating pellets/sticks/FD foods. All of my new gars were quick to get on sticks when I placed them in with fish that already feed on floating prepared foods. They pick it up more quickly when they learn by example.
In single-specimen tanks, I got my trops onto prepared foods by feeding them live feeder minnows, one at a time and always at the same spot, before starting to introduce sticks. Then, I'd drop a minnow followed by a stick. Once they start snapping at the sticks it's a simple matter to increase the ratio of sticks versus minnows until they're completely on sticks.

Reactions: jjollie and bacon

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
The king of diy made a video on training fish to take non live foods a couple weeks ago. Check it out on youtube.

Reactions: jjollie

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
Good news they took the live fish so I will keep them on those for a while to grow them up

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
Fry are always nervous of becoming a meal for larger fish, ...even their own kind. Provide them with some surface vegetation to provide them some sense of security. Then, offer live fish as food. Once they're feeding you can wean them onto floating pellets/sticks/FD foods. All of my new gars were quick to get on sticks when I placed them in with fish that already feed on floating prepared foods. They pick it up more quickly when they learn by example.
In single-specimen tanks, I got my trops onto prepared foods by feeding them live feeder minnows, one at a time and always at the same spot, before starting to introduce sticks. Then, I'd drop a minnow followed by a stick. Once they start snapping at the sticks it's a simple matter to increase the ratio of sticks versus minnows until they're completely on sticks.
thanks the little gars are eating little fish like no tomorrow I am keeping the feeder fish in the tank pretty regular so they can eat at will thanks for the help I will post some pics this weekend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store