Treated Tap Water?

Steelies4Dayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2015
So I had the problem with the not treated tap water for fish and the Gill Died. And the Shiners died somehow? Could it be This WECO Product or I did change the water temp to a colder climate? What happened? IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4465.JPG IMG_4461.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The active working dechlorinating chemical in all products is basically the same, either sodium thiosulfate, calcium thiosulfate, or some similar "thio" salt.
Some products add ammonia reducing agents, and other additions, as enhancers, but the dechlorination part is basic chemistry.
Because I was a water chemist/microbiologist, I never buy the fancy stuff, I just buy a bucket of dried sodium thiosulfate, and mix my own.
If your temp, or some other component such as pH was drastically different, or if the colder water was super saturated with gases, enough so, to cause gas bubble embolism. These are more likely the cause of a quick death, other than the dechlor

Reactions: boldtogether

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
What About Aqua Safe is that Good??
Hello; I recently bought a bottle of the dry powder version of Prime. It is called Safe A 1 kilo (2.2 pound) bottle was $32 at a local fish shop. It will treat up to 200,000 gallons. Safe is made by the same company as Prime.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That Weco stuff I assume is straight sodium thiosulfate. If your water supply containes chloramines, it breaks the bond and leaves free ammonia. If you do a large waterchange you could burn the gills of your fish with ammonia. Years ago I did a large waterchange and my fish were very stressed and breathing at the surface. I did the smart thing and did another large wsterchange. Pretty much all of my fish were dead in the next couple days. I then found out my wster company had started using chloramines. I had been keeping fish for 25-30 years and just knew in my arrogant mind that changing more water cured everything. I didn't own test kits since I knew everything at the time. I found out I no longer knew everything the hard way. Now I am well aware that everyone knows more than me. I now listen to you guys and assume I know jack ****.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I'm just glad I don't need to treat my tap water for anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store