Making sure I'm not being an idiot trying this - 10 gal invertebrate

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
As long as live rock is properly cured, you shouldn't have to replace water. With uncured live rock you actually will have a fair amount of dead and dying organisms and a complete water change is in order.

I don't think distilled water will be a good choice, I would stick to RO for inverts.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
For anyone who wants to answer: If I wanted to upgrade to soft coral later on, aside from lighting what would be the most important for me to upgrade? Like should I get a bigger filter, powerhead, or protein skimmer, etc.. Just feeling like if I'm going to be investing a bunch in water overtime, I should consider improving other things in the aquarium.

As long as live rock is properly cured, you shouldn't have to replace water. With uncured live rock you actually will have a fair amount of dead and dying organisms and a complete water change is in order.

I don't think distilled water will be a good choice, I would stick to RO for inverts.
Ok thanks. I'm not sure where to get RO water. I'll check with the place I was planning on buying the live rock from if I can't find it anyplace else.

If I just went with a clown goby would RO be as important? Either way I'll probably go with the RO so the aquarium isn't as empty. Since my aquarium is so small, not sure if it would really be cheaper to buy a RO setup at this time than buying RO water from stores. Or at least it probably would take a year to just break even.

Last edited:

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I would plumb the second 10 gallon under it as a sump. Maybe set it up as a refugium.

Reactions: Wailua Boy

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This is what I used to treat my water when I used to keep octopi.
Ck2Da_lg.jpg

Reactions: banjocat

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
This is what I used to treat my water when I used to keep octopi.
View attachment 1152247
Thanks I'll look into that too. I know the reef crystals mix says "Metal detoxifier neutralizes traces of heavy metal often found in domestic water supplies" so not sure if I would still require RO with a simple setup while using the reef crystals.

Edit: Found it being sold by API on amazon but it is currently unavailable. I'll look into it elsewhere later

Last edited:

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Check out the DIY overflows, no need to drill
Have been watching some youtubes about refugiums and overflows. Most of the refugiums have protein skimmers. If I don't get a protein skimmer right away, would it still be worth having a refugium? I'm guessing it would for the increased water volume and biofiltration

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Exactly. You can get away without a protein skimmer if your not heavily feeding. Water changes will help control excessive protein buildup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store