Making sure I'm not being an idiot trying this - 10 gal invertebrate

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I used to keep Halimeda in my reef keeper days.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Have been reading a lot about sumps. Not sure how I'm going to do things atm. I'll either have to go simple like originally planned and maybe add a sump later or do a bunch of more planning on exactly how I want to setup the sump. The overflow and return pump seem simple enough, but I'll have to figure out what to do with the dividers/baffles. I'll think on it more, but I'm thinking I can always add a sump later on.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Anyone new to salt water may want to play around with halimeda, just to gain experience. Its easy to grow, you only need a airstone and great nutrient exporter. In some of the high schools around here do a halimeda experiment and here is a link to directions.

www.hawaii.edu/.../pdfs/algae.aquarium.setup.highschool
The link didn't work for me, but from what little I've read halimeda seems interesting. I'll have to look more into growing it

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Years ago when I setup reef in a 45 column tank used half distilled , half tap due to the size of the aquarium. Btw always used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, had a sump under it, and had to use metal halide bulb together with antinic bulbs tank was deep so this was my only option at that time had Seahorses that spawned a few times so I'm guessing I did something right:D Most of the advice that everyone is giving you is good, a Nano type setup shouldn't be to difficult to handle imo. Good luck, and enjoy it:)

Reactions: banjocat

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
It has been awhile. At first changed my mind on doing a saltwater.

Finally gave it a try Saturday. Added live rock. So far have noticed some of what I think are amphipods. They are kind of interesting to watch. Saw some chasing each other today. Also today I added a small piece of shrimp tail to start the cycling. I saved other tail pieces for in case they are needed.

I'm using two hob filters since I have a spare. My end goal would be 1 or 2 small hermit crabs and a clown goby. I'll see how the hermit crabs go first.

Might consider a 30 gallon(maybe 50) in the future with better equipment.

Last edited:

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Bought the last piece of live rock today. I just got it and so far I've seen a bristle worm and asterina starfish. The starfish was a hitchhiker I was hoping for, so hopefully it makes it.

Most of the live rock in the size range I wanted had coral polyps on them. This was a tank dedicated to live rock. The guy working there told me they didn't sell pieces with coral. There was a nice piece with only one polyp on it and I asked him if that piece was ok. He decided to let me have it put went to effort to scrape it off. I didn't see what he did with it. Do you think the polyp is likely to survive or was he probably killing it rather than letting me have a free coral? I guess I should have asked

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store