NGT stability question

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So i am pretty much done with trying to keep IT dats now.

I have gone from 6 or 7 down to just one in an effort to get a stable one. The one remaining IT is a lovely 3.5 bar at around 8". He has now been on his own with no other dats for around a month. Other fish are rays, gars, tin foils and ornate bicher. The dat showed no signs of colouring up when i sold on another 2 to make sure he was left alone (when there were 3 in the tank they spent the entire time chasing each other). Now he is by himself and no change. That was until i added 4 wide bar silver dollars around 5" each. Within one hour the IT became stable and patrolled the front of the tank showing off some great colours. But this lasted a day. He is now gone back to black and i never see him.

Anyway, back to my question. Are NGT naturally stable or are they hit and miss like IT?
I see one for sale in the UK but not willing to shell out big money on something that will not colour up.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In my experience NGT are stable about 95 percent of the time and when they are not stable it is not for long and it does not look as bad as some indos look.I have also found NGT's to be the most aggressive of the dats....mine would always fight with the others.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
In my experience NGT are stable about 95 percent of the time and when they are not stable it is not for long and it does not look as bad as some indos look.I have also found NGT's to be the most aggressive of the dats....mine would always fight with the others.
Thank you. I also read mixed comments as to whether the NGT should be kept in brakish conditions as well? I would not want to start messing with my water just to be able to keep one type of fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thank you. I also read mixed comments as to whether the NGT should be kept in brakish conditions as well? I would not want to start messing with my water just to be able to keep one type of fish.
I have never heard of anyone keeping them in brackish water.The debates over brackish that I can recall concern the silver datnoid.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have never heard of anyone keeping them in brackish water.The debates over brackish that I can recall concern the silver datnoid.
Thats what i thought. I have kept silvers succesfully in fresh water. I am now reading various info stating that NGT need brackish which i am taking with a pinch of salt (no pun intended lol).
I really like the NGT looks and would like to get one, just don't want to chance buying yet another datnoid that spends most of it's time dark and hanging out at the back of the tank. May as well not be in the tank at all.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thats what i thought. I have kept silvers succesfully in fresh water. I am now reading various info stating that NGT need brackish which i am taking with a pinch of salt (no pun intended lol).
I really like the NGT looks and would like to get one, just don't want to chance buying yet another datnoid that spends most of it's time dark and hanging out at the back of the tank. May as well not be in the tank at all.
I can understand where you are coming from.It would bum me out pretty quickly to spend a nice sum of money on a fish only to have it hide most of the time.The only dats that hardly ever spend much time hiding are the pulcher and the not very sought after silvers.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hence me considering trying out a different type and hence my question regards the NGT.
Ok, well best of luck with the new NGT if you decide to pull the trigger.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Go with the NGT, even though they are much more aggressive ( my 12" used to beat the hell out of my 16" widebars). it'll be worth it, they are a stunning fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store