Reinforcing crawl space

Rizzobitz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Hi. I could use some advice please for the 480 gallon tank we are picking up this Saturday. We currently have a 200 gallon which we reinforced with 4 jack stands under our house in the dirt crawl space which is less than 2 feet tall. We put a metal beam above the jack stands and wood squares under each jack stand. Below is a picture of our 200 gallon tank... Our 480 gallon tank and 100 gallon sump will weigh considerably more but we don't have the space to dig out a hole and place posts or a foundation and I don't have the $2500.00+ to pay a local company to make a foundation under our house. As I see it, our options are cinderblock and brick/other stacked or 6-8 jack stands with a metal beam on top and concrete footers below each jack stand. What would you recommend? The aquarium is 8'x2'x4'tall20151020_202529.jpg

Rizzobitz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
I'd really love some advice so we can get the 480 setup asap. My husband is unsure how to proceed. The 200 gallon is working great with just the jack stands. Would the 480+100 sump be ok with just jack stands? Here's more pics of our 200. We still need to mount magnets on the doors. The sump is 85 gallons.20151024_123856.jpg 20151024_123918.jpg .

20150820_184845.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Pictures of the crawl space might help. However take any advice from a forum such as this with caution. You will be dealing with substantial weight that may cause serious structural damage.
Even with additional pictures we are not on site. You need someone with knowledge to actually have a look at the floor structure and the ground under the crawl space. A good sound and stable base (footer) of some sort will likely be needed.

My husband is unsure how to proceed.
That you and your husband are unsure how to proceed is telling. This is something a person needs to have some experience with and at best should know very clearly what to do. A 480 gallon might weigh around 5700 pounds with everything.

Reactions: Rizzobitz

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Please bear in mind that I am not trying to say that it cannot be done. This is likely not a difficult thing to figgure out for someone with the experience. May be hard to work in a tight crawl space.

Good luck

Reactions: Rizzobitz

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Definitely do other research. It would be useful to have pictures and more information. Is the (steel?) beam held up by floor jacks running parallel directly under your current 200 gallon tank? Also, is the beam then running perpendicular or parallel to floor joists under the crawl space?

I'm not an expert, but have add support under my own crawl space so can offer my personal experience, FWIW. Based on your response, I can add some pictures if it will help. Fortunately, I had more room to work with, but it's possible that you may need to add more of what you already have. Again, it depends on how your floor boards are running.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if your husband is handy you have options.

1. using cinder blocks, re-bars & cement.

2. stainless steel tubing frame (like a tank stand)
using the jack and beams to support the middle
while the steel tubing frame supports the distributed
weight from the tank.

3. using 6x6 wood posts with your existing metal jacks.

4. getting more metal jacks.

just simple solutions/methods ive used before with no issues
to date.

Rizzobitz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Thank you dn328, tomojsg and Wailua Boy. My husband says he will dig six 2x2x2 holes, fill them with cement and put the 6 jack stands on them with metal beams above them. If only the crawl space weren't so small. I forsee a long wait before this tank is up and running.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; may I ask where you are located? I ask because if you are in a cold part of the world it can be important to dig a footer base below the soil freeze (frost) depth. Perhaps not much of an issue for cement bases protected inside the home foundation but might be worth a check.

In tight places where I cannot swing a tool like a pick, I use a power tool that has a hammer capacity. I have one that runs on electricity and works like a jack hammer. There are several sizes, I have a mid sized one I picked up at a Harbor Freight for a little over $100. In addition to chisel bits up to four inches wide it has pointed bits that will chip apart rock. Ear protection is a must.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store