White substance (not ich or ick) in my flowerhorn skin. He also scratches himself every now and then

xserenity17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
New York
Look into velvet. It is often misdiagnosed as ich, but treatment is similar. Either way I'd say that you're looking at an external infection. If you don't have live plants I'd treat with heat and salt, maybe some quickcure or paraguard or something.
I just started curing him with salt last night. I'm also using herbatana and artemiss. After all the crazy research that we've done, I'm suspecting it might also be because of the PH. His tank's PH is acidic, like around 6.0 right now. I just bought crushed corals to higher the PH and I also bought an established ceramic media at my LFS (I didn't know they sell it. It's a bit costly but I believe it's worth it so I can seed my tank). Hopefully this would fix the problem. I'll give you an update once he gets better. Thanks for all the help!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What's the ph of your tap water after sitting in a container for 24 hours? Your tank PH should be close to your tap water PH (if that is what you are using to change the tank water) if weekly water changes are done.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
velvet can have a nice gold sheen that gives it away. It can be hard to see in photos though. To me it almost looks like something is irritating him. How are his parameters all around? Are there pH swings?

Reactions: xserenity17

xserenity17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
New York
velvet can have a nice gold sheen that gives it away. It can be hard to see in photos though. To me it almost looks like something is irritating him. How are his parameters all around? Are there pH swings?
He doesn't have the white stuffs anymore and he seems more active now. He started eating pellets although he still spits a few every now and then. But when I got home, he seemed like he's back to his usual swimming habit of begging me for food.

I had nitrite spike before he got sick and my PH dropped to 6.0

I did water change everyday for the past days (sometimes 25%, sometimes 50% esp during those times when my Nitrites spiked to 2.0-5.0 ppm and I can't lower it down by changing only 25%). There was a time when my ammonia was 0 and my nitrikes was 2.0) Maybe my tank was close to cycling then?) I also changed the foam from my HOB Aquaclear 110 filter (I have both HOB and cannister filter and I'm using biohome media). I followed Pond Guru's advice to have the ceramics at the bottom and have coarse, medium and fine foams ( I still kept half of the coarse foam that I have in my HOB). After I did that, my Nitrites went down to 0. I also bought a stabilized media from LFS and added the ceramics in my cannister filter. To fix my PH, I added some crushed corals last night both on my filters and scattered some on my gravel and was able to raise it up to 7.8

I just checked the water parameters again today and it seemed better than the previous days (see the pics for my water parameters). Altho I think my tank isn't done cycling coz my Nitrates are still 0 (not sure if it's bec he hasnt been eating before) and my ammonia is at 0.25ppm

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

xserenity17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
New York
He's still under salt treatment right now though. His temp is at constant 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm also using Microbe-lift Herbtana and Artemiss (Dosage 12 hours apart). If he's better after 10 days then I'll stop the treatment.

He's still scratches every now and then but not as often as the past days.

Thanks all! I'll keep updating you regarding his recovery.

xserenity17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
New York
Also, I don't see any gold sheen on his skin.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not meaning to offend, this is a common mistake I was guilty of, are you shaking the pee out of test bottle #2 on the nitrate test before adding to the test vile? and I mean shake the pee out of it, beat on a table what ever for a good 2 minutes,.

Reactions: xserenity17

xserenity17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
New York
not meaning to offend, this is a common mistake I was guilty of, are you shaking the pee out of test bottle #2 on the nitrate test before adding to the test vile? and I mean shake the pee out of it, beat on a table what ever for a good 2 minutes,.
I know what you mean. I made the same mistake the very first time I tested my tank water until I reread the instruction and see that I needed to shake bottle #2. I just tested my tank water again today (I do it at least every other day if not, daily) and my Nitrite and Nitrate is still at 0 ppm but my ammonia is at 0.5 ppm. I'm just hoping that my tank didn't re-cycle again. :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store