Red Cherry shrimp tank

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
I set up a 5.5 gallon tank to try and breed red cherry shrimp. They've got moss, anubias, dwarf hair grass, driftwood, moss ball, sponge filter and a heater. I've got the tank set up underneath my planted 40 with my succulents with a GLO t5 light. This is my first attempt at a shrimp tank, any advice it greatly appreciated. Please excuse the cloudy water. I'll update pictures of the shrimp and tank when it clears.

image.jpeg

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
Here's some shots of the shrimp, if anyone knows anything about quality please let me know. They seem very red which would make me think they are decent quality...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: convict360

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
Cool, how many shrimp are in there? You can tell when the female is holding eggs because they'll be visible within her swimmerets. The babies are tiny! You have to look very closely to see them. They're a cool little project to have and it should be rewarding when the babies come around. Nice choice on substrate, that should help them pop!
Check out theplantedtank.net if you don't get any feedback here. Not sure how many members here dabble in small inverts.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You seem to be doing everything right, giving them moss and using sponge filter.. And they seem to be more likely the Fire Red Cherry shrimp (hence being more red) which should be fairly easy to breed like other red cherry shrimp

Only adive would be try and Keep the temp at below 26'C whenever possible, and to make sure you have enough food for the young shrimp to feed on... Foods containing calcium also help with shrimps molting

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
I've got 6 because that's all the store had, I scooped them up because they seemed to be decent quality. I've been feeding hikari mini algae wafer and hikari crab cuisine.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As long as you have both male and female shrimps then you should see some fry in time...

The algae wafers should help as well, but maybe make sure you are also crumbling some up so that any baby shrimps can get some food as well, since i found in my CRS tank, a lot of the small shrimp were not getting enough food which almost caused my community to almost crash due to lack of shrimps developing...

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
I've added more dwarf hair grass and some staurogyne repens to try and get some more bio film for the babies.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I mean see how you go, once you see shrimp berried up, then things will get interesting...

JeffT123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2015
How do you keep baby shrimp? It seems like they would be microscopic.

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
JeffT123 JeffT123 this is my first attempt at a shrimp tank, my first female is buried now. I am hoping the shrimplets will be able to survive in the moss. I will keep this thread updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store