pressurized filter question

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hey guys, I'm needing to upgrade my current filtration on a 125 gallon tank. I have mostly cichlids so you know I need a good filter. I'm considering a pressure filter and was wondering if any of you had used a pond pressure pump/filter?? I currently have a 2 oddysee canister filters and they are on their last leg. A sump or wet dry is totally out of the question cause of the lack of room. The tank is very close to the wall and moving it is not an option. Any help would be much appreciated.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
My understanding of pond pressurized filters is they are basically a canister without the pump. I may be mistaken. You might try on the pond forums for more info

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Celebrist is correct

Reactions: Truxx1956

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
That's what I thought but if I put a pump (I already have an 1800gph pondmaster pump) I thought it would be a little easier since it has a backwash feature? Thoughts?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
They're probably too big for your tank as they'll take more water than you would want to use to back flush them properly. The Ultima 4000's take 200-300 gallons for a good flush.. so if this scaled down in perfect ratio then the 1000 model would still take around 100 gallons. I would stick with one of the many aquarium canisters if I was you. (mainly because even if the 1000 model would work.. I think its a bad model based on its size and ratio of media per price)

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
They're probably too big for your tank as they'll take more water than you would want to use to back flush them properly. The Ultima 4000's take 200-300 gallons for a good flush.. so if this scaled down in perfect ratio then the 1000 model would still take around 100 gallons. I would stick with one of the many aquarium canisters if I was you. (mainly because even if the 1000 model would work.. I think its a bad model based on its size and ratio of media per price)
I agree. For the money and future maintenance costs and operational cost, a really good canister or two for thay matter will be a better long term purchase. Keep an eye open for good used filters here and even eBay. I got an Eheim 2250 sans the pump for $50. The pump cost me like $85...brand new..and that filter is way more than I needed. A lot of people here use the Jebo canisters and have had good luck..and some canisters these days come with built in UV.
If the Oddyssey filters have worked for you and you know them, maybe get an updated next level one of the same brand....
The only luck I have had with pond equipment brought in to the home aquarium has been UV...everything else isn't really designed for aquariums and they are hard to adapt.
jus my $.02

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
I agree. For the money and future maintenance costs and operational cost, a really good canister or two for thay matter will be a better long term purchase. Keep an eye open for good used filters here and even eBay. I got an Eheim 2250 sans the pump for $50. The pump cost me like $85...brand new..and that filter is way more than I needed. A lot of people here use the Jebo canisters and have had good luck..and some canisters these days come with built in UV.
If the Oddyssey filters have worked for you and you know them, maybe get an updated next level one of the same brand....
The only luck I have had with pond equipment brought in to the home aquarium has been UV...everything else isn't really designed for aquariums and they are hard to adapt.
jus my $.02

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
jus my $.02

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
They're probably too big for your tank as they'll take more water than you would want to use to back flush them properly. The Ultima 4000's take 200-300 gallons for a good flush.. so if this scaled down in perfect ratio then the 1000 model would still take around 100 gallons. I would stick with one of the many aquarium canisters if I was you. (mainly because even if the 1000 model would work.. I think its a bad mo

del based on its size and ratio of media per price)
I had no idea they took that much water to backflush. I may look into a good used fx5 or eheim the odeyssa did not hold up well and they leaks from day one. Thanks for the help and opinions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store