electric blue acara set up

fishwhisperer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Johnson City TN
so i have a pair of 5-6" electric blue acaras cichlids, in a 65gal with plants, a mix of course and fine sand, huge pieces of driftwood, large round rocks, and a 40gal sump, true 40gal. the tank is med planted and co2 injected, i threw a few oak leaves in the tank. they ate the frst round of eggs. so the other stock is a small banjo cat, large pleco, med syno, 3 smallish red rainbow fish, a small breeding pair of convicts and a handfull of applesnails. ALL of these fish are in the sump except the acaras, there is plenty of room and that puts my total water volume over 100gals. so my nitrates stay really low. is there any thing else i could do to speed up the breeding process, they court all the time constantly flairing and bumping and showing off, bitting rocks and wood and tugging at my plants, but they keep eating the eggs, i feed frozen bloodworms, pellets, flake, ive got some dried red shrimp, havent tryd that yet, should i still be doing water changes everyday, seems a little excessive with that quantity of water and so few fish, how should i light cycle?

Deansy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
I have never kept electrics before, but I do currently have 3 BAs, two of which are the offspring off the other one (unfortunately the mother past on). One thing that I would say is it is really just going to happen when it happens. I mean all you can do is make sure the water parameters are good, and they are well fed. Also, make sure they have plent of rocks and stuff to pick from. It looks like they have plenty, but I mean you never know.

Beautiful tank btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store