My P. Hystrix WC Rio Negro Brazil

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Get
Yes I know, I have used eaethworms before to train rays. Only problem is that the ground is frozen solid here in Iceland. There's only one place I know here in town that might have earthworms, a fishing store.
Get down the fishing store pronto mate.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Yes I know, I have used eaethworms before to train rays. Only problem is that the ground is frozen solid here in Iceland. There's only one place I know here in town that might have earthworms, a fishing store.
Being wild caught it would not be terribly surprising if they never start eating in your care. Once they are eating they will learn to take other stuff without too much fuss. If you can't get worms you could try something like ghost shrimp or whatever they took at LFS. I'd call your LFS and see if they were dewormed while in quarantine, that's a problem that can sneak up on you later.

Hopefully you can get them to eat, because they are on the thin side. Like MH said, I would probably see about hitting a fishing store.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Being wild caught it would not be terribly surprising if they never start eating in your care. Once they are eating they will learn to take other stuff without too much fuss. If you can't get worms you could try something like ghost shrimp or whatever they took at LFS. I'd call your LFS and see if they were dewormed while in quarantine, that's a problem that can sneak up on you later.

Hopefully you can get them to eat, because they are on the thin side. Like MH said, I would probably see about hitting a fishing store.
Oh I believe they will eat, they got more active during feeding time today, started swimming around and towards the food (and over it). I checked with the LFS, they were eating earthworms there, just not eating a lot.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Try and feed them several times a day if you can.

If they were eating crayfish, get some if you can, the rays being so thin it's vital really they eat anything and regularly. It would be beneficial to gut load the crayfish prior to offering them to the rays, I assume crayfish will eat crumbled pellets/flake etc. it would just boost the nutritional intake of the rays

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Also I have a couple of questions, I haven't managed to find much info about growth rate except for that they are slow growers.
I know growth rates vary and factors like feeding, filtration and tank size play a large factor. But how large should I expect them to be in a year (estimated)? Also do they take longer to reach sexual maturity than other rays because of the slow growth rate?
I have 3 histrix rays, i kept track of the growth for a while. Here are the numbers:

(WC/Captive breed, not sure) Female, bought Oktober 6. 2010: From 17/18 cm in disc size, to 29/31 cm in one year. (She grew unbelievably fast the first year, and is around 45 cm now).

(WC) Female, bought March 26. 2011: From 10/11 cm in disc size, to 16/17 cm in one year.
(This one still grows slow (maby call it normal?), still pretty small to this day).

(WC) Male, bought February 5. 2011: From 8/9 cm in disc size, to 14/15 cm in one year.
18/20 cm when he seemed to get mature (fully developed claspers and started to show interest in the female i kept him with at that time).

Other things to notice: From the day i got them i used to feed with lots of frozen food, mysis, bloodworms, artemia, earthworms, etc. Later i added more herring, coalfish, market shrimp, mussels, some homemade mix, etc. Fed 3-4 times a day the first year or so. Temperature is always around 24-26 degrees celsius (depends on the time of year). Nitrates always below 25 mg/l (usually below 12 mg/l). pH 7 - 7,2. GH/KH almost not measurable, i would say 0-1.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
The female suffered a heater burn, the burn got infected and she is no more. I was very bummed, she had started eating like a horse.
Male is eating, not much though, but more every day.

Heater is now hid in a plastic tube.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I was just browsing this and wondering. Sorry to hear the bad news, heater burn is no joke unfortunately. I hope your male starts hitting food hard, I find my rays all have different eating habits.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I was just browsing this and wondering. Sorry to hear the bad news, heater burn is no joke unfortunately. I hope your male starts hitting food hard, I find my rays all have different eating habits.
Thanks, I will find him a female when he has settled. This is a breeding project, and it would be rather dull without a female present.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store