Filtration for a 125?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I was poking around sponge filters and doing research for micro tanks, when I came across the "hydro sponge V". Says it's rated for 125 gallons, anyone confirm this is true? Or atleast on the bio end? Trying to figure out what I want to run on my 125 gallon tanks I'm getting. If the hydro V works I'm thinking 2 large HOB filters and then the sponge filter. What do y'all think? Oh and for stock it's SA/CA cichlids.

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
So I was poking around sponge filters and doing research for micro tanks, when I came across the "hydro sponge V". Says it's rated for 125 gallons, anyone confirm this is true? Or atleast on the bio end? Trying to figure out what I want to run on my 125 gallon tanks I'm getting. If the hydro V works I'm thinking 2 large HOB filters and then the sponge filter. What do y'all think? Oh and for stock it's SA/CA cichlids.
Can't help you with the HydroSpong question, but, I use two AquaClear 110 HOB filters on my 125-gallon tank. I use a Filtermax sponge kit on the intake tube of each. I rinse those out weekly. I have been very pleased. Thinking of adding a carbon reactor or UV Sterilzer at some point in the new year.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Filtration is 50% & 50% stock. Community fish or a wet pet and you're probably fine with 2 of them but stocked with multiple medium to large fish and you're probably going to want something to supplement the sponges. When I had my 125 I had a fx5 with stock sponges and biomass plus an ac110 with sponge and floss for polishing and loved it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
2 ac 110's and a sponge and you've got mech and bio covered in my book.

Reactions: Buphy

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
When I had 12 adult discus in my 125, I was running 2 larger sponge filters (can't think of the the brand) and 2 ac110s. I added a third ac110 right before I sold them all because I got it dirt cheap.

Currently have a breeding colony of Blue Tilapia in my 125, and I'm filtering it with 3 ac110 and a marineland c320.

Depending on how heavily stocked you are planning to be, how big the fish are, and how often and how much you feed, you'll probably be fine. It's at least a good starting point.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ya, a few more specifics though it seems I'll be ok, 1 125 I want 2 AC110s and a large sponge filter and it'll have 2 severums, 4 geophagus, some Denison barbs, a school of tetras and a pleco. Second 125 is gonna have 8 juvie lyonsi (going for a pair) and some silver dollars (tiger silver dollars eventually) and I'll want to be running 2 Fluval U4, 1 Fluval U2 and a large sponge filter (don't have room for HOB and already got the U filters like 70% off). Obviously I can adjust as needed later on if I need more.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
That should be PLENTY. Just watch your feeding (don't overfeed/skip a day twice a week even, cichlids are TOUGH, and it's better for them like in nature).

Air driven sponge filters are SOO much more beneficial that people realize. Slow biological filtration TRUMPS high flow ANYDAY other than for "looks".

I've over bought filters for YEAR's (because I like to experiment), and I can't say ANY of them were really any better than the others as long as you have enough bio media (HydroSponge is an EXCELLENT BIO Filter, I use them religiously), with a good water change schedule that you STICK TO. Of course the LOWER your stock the longer you can get away with less frequent water changes/gravel vac's.

Next to adequate bio filtration, regular water changes are THE SECRET to a beautiful aquarium, NOT the name brand , or amount you spent on the filter you use.

Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store