Help?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Tell us about your setup, like size tank, what kind of lighting, what are your overall plans for the tank... Are those African cichlids? What type of tank are you looking to do?

If it was my tank I'd set it up as a planted African cichlid tank like these!!!

When it comes to planted tanks and African cichlids people think that it can't be done because they think they'll eat the plants. While yes, African cichlids are herbivorous fish meaning that they do eat plants, but if you buy only tank raised African cichlids they're mainly fed pellet foods, and get a "treat" of zuchini slices once a week so they're raised to know what's food so they don't bother the plants.

Last edited:
Reactions: convict360

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
Well it's a 40 breeder. With regular fluorescent bulbs like one would find in a garage. The fish aren't Africans, just baby common goldfish. Im looking to make it more appealing. It's in the bedroom at the end of the bed. So I'd like it to look nice. I've never had any success with plants. Well besides the pothos living in my HOB. So I'm looking to stay away from them. "A hardscape for goldfish" if you will

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Maybe you could laydown a sand substrate and add a bunch of driftwood then?
Pretty much all you can do except add more rocks etc if you dont want live plants

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Below is a pic of my new tank thats waiting to be planted, but you can imagine what hardscape in a substrate layer looks like...

image.jpeg

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Well it's a 40 breeder. With regular fluorescent bulbs like one would find in a garage. The fish aren't Africans, just baby common goldfish. Im looking to make it more appealing. It's in the bedroom at the end of the bed. So I'd like it to look nice. I've never had any success with plants. Well besides the pothos living in my HOB. So I'm looking to stay away from them. "A hardscape for goldfish" if you will
Do you intend to keep the Goldfish? If so, you're going to have little luck with live plants. You might be able to get away with some Anubias, but otherwise the Goldfish will rip up/munch on most other plant species (especially as they get bigger).

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ just that bit of sand makes such a difference to your scape!!!

Once you maybe add a but more decor in there, should look pretty sweet...

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
With it being so frigid cold where I am I am limited to what I have, which is just these rocks. Over the weekend I may be able to find time to take a trip to the woods and find some nice driftwood, who knows

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store