What would an OB x sunshine benga Peacock look like?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Just out of curiosity what would the cross look like? Would some look like OB and some yellow or would their colors mix together? I'm familiar with CA hybrids just not how Peacock hybrids would turn out.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
First generation might look homogenous, but later generations can have fish that look exactly like either parent along with fish that look like a mix.

The OB peacock has mbuna mixed in...that's how they get the blotches.

MrGame

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2015
First generation might look homogenous, but later generations can have fish that look exactly like either parent along with fish that look like a mix.

The OB peacock has mbuna mixed in...that's how they get the blotches.
Does that make their temperament unpredictable?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Yes hybrid behavior can be unpredictable.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I don't know, you hear it quite often but I've never seen any evidence that OB peacocks come from Mbuna.

Does anyone know of a thread where someone bred a Mbuna with a peacock or Hap? because a lot of other haps like Ahli and even compressiceps have an OB variation.

Either they are being selectively bred with Mbuna, or the blotches are just a naturally occurring mutation in both types of fish.

I`d just like to see some clear evidence if that is really their background.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I don't know of anything in writing, but I've heard Ad Konings and others during speeches and in answer to questions state the OB morphs of the fish you mention have been seen in hobbyist aquariums but have not been found in the Lake.

You will also notice that fish like OB peacocks do not have scientific names...this is because the scientists consider them man made fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store