recycling salt in your saltwater aquarium

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
This salt is perfectly safe.. its food quality.. just didn't pay for all the certification testing to BE food quality. The bags that I buy do say its food quality. In other words.. probably more pure than what's sold for aquarium use. Been using it for over a decade..

If it says its 100% salt I wouldn't worry too much about quality.. just make sure there are not additives or de-caking agents added. I have seen 3 different brands come through my pool supply place I go to and so far its always been pure.

Tank i have now is about 1700 gallons.

Thats a big tank would love to see pictures of it ..what do you have in it ?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Sure.. check the links in my sig.

I wanted it to be a schooling community tank and it was at one time. But keeping disease under control was difficult when you're talking about a thousand or so small schooling fish. So its been slowing transitioning to a cichlid and oddball tank as I let the smaller fish die off and I don't replace them. Right now I have a couple foot long Pearsei's that get along with fish as small as an inch.. and some 8in chocolates.

But its pinnacle was the original concept.. seeing many different types of schooling fish zoom around in little balls of life was really cool.

This is why I run with salt. I keep a higher salinity during the summer to offset the high water temps.

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
Sure.. check the links in my sig.

I wanted it to be a schooling community tank and it was at one time. But keeping disease under control was difficult when you're talking about a thousand or so small schooling fish. So its been slowing transitioning to a cichlid and oddball tank as I let the smaller fish die off and I don't replace them. Right now I have a couple foot long Pearsei's that get along with fish as small as an inch.. and some 8in chocolates.

But its pinnacle was the original concept.. seeing many different types of schooling fish zoom around in little balls of life was really cool.

This is why I run with salt. I keep a higher salinity during the summer to offset the high water temps.

How are you recycling the salt?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
How are you recycling the salt?
Are you talking about saltwater or freshwater tanks? Big difference in this particular case!

I've never heard of recycling salt from a salt water tank, so I'm skeptical it can be done. And the salt used in saltwater tanks is of course much more expensive than pool salt because they aren't really the same. Pool salt is not a suitable substitute for salt water species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store