Help with shifting fishes from old tank to new

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
what i thought as well.

Thanks. You didn't notice but we Indians are not so lucky to have a petco or a petsmart :( The hobby is still in its infancy i guess. Sponge filters are a good idea and don't think being in the tropics require me to get a heater. It's like 35 degrees here :)

Sorry if my OP was not clear. But the current tank is still running. I have not taken anything out. I was listing out my plan in case i get a new tank. I wanted to know if i get a new tank, i just dump everything into different containers [fish, gravel and wood], remove old tank, bring in new tank, fill up gravel, water and wood. run the canisters and just introduce the fish.

Thanks. Long reads are usually filled with good info. Shall be sure to check it out.
Lol at first when you said we Indians I was like what there is a petsmart everywhere in the states. I'm Indian too so got confused haha what part are you from? Been to India once my wife went to medical school there

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
But the current tank is still running. I have not taken anything out.
Hello; In this case you are in a fine position. If you are lucky enough to be able to set up the new tank in a different spot, you can have it up and running for the test fill and system checkout. I usually let the filters run for a day and check for leaks. If all is well just rob some media loaded with bb from the old setup and slowly transfer the fish.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I did that twice I have no idea what the hell happened to it. Was a long post. Way too lazy to type it again lol
That's not fair...you cheated. What's wrong with my way of doing it? I get the feeling this is important....

Also, I need to teach you how to multi-quote.

demonknight demonknight - there is no HARM having a heater w/ a built in thermostat......If your local temperature is 78F, and the thermstat is set to 78F the heater will simply stay turned off....if you have a temperature drop, to say 75F, it will kick on until the temp is 79F, then they generally stay off until the temp drops to 76F, 2 Degrees F. below the setting.

It could vary, but most are 1-up, 2-down....either way, even if it kicks on at 77F and shuts off at 80F, do you really care? It will simply stay off until needed. I had a friend in Florida who kept Reptiles who said the same thing you did, and one night the temps went from upper 70's to 40F or lower and he lost every lizard he owned cuz he SWORE "you don't need heat in Florida"

Last edited:

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
demonknight demonknight - there is no HARM having a heater w/ a built in thermostat......"you don't need heat in Florida"
Well we don't have winters where i live. It's hot for almost throughout the entire year except for two months when the monsoon wrecks havoc but even then temp rarely goes down below 30degC.

A heater is the one thing i don't find in LFS here :) Up north sure it get's cold and temp goes to 10degC and have seen people use heaters.

But like you said, no harm in being too careful. Just that over the past many many years even with tanks outside the house, i've never had issues due to temp differences.

Lol at first when you said we Indians I was like what there is a petsmart everywhere in the states. I'm Indian too so got confused haha what part are you from? Been to India once my wife went to medical school there
ha ha sorry. am in the southernmost part of India. State called Kerala. We market it as God's own country :)

Hello; In this case you are in a fine position. If you are lucky enough to be able to set up the new tank in a different spot, you can have it up and running for the test fill and system checkout. I usually let the filters run for a day and check for leaks. If all is well just rob some media loaded with bb from the old setup and slowly transfer the fish.
That's good to hear. Less of a headache for me then. Now to hunt for a good tank.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Well we don't have winters where i live. It's hot for almost throughout the entire year except for two months when the monsoon wrecks havoc but even then temp rarely goes down below 30degC.

A heater is the one thing i don't find in LFS here :) Up north sure it get's cold and temp goes to 10degC and have seen people use heaters.

But like you said, no harm in being too careful. Just that over the past many many years even with tanks outside the house, i've never had issues due to temp differences.

ha ha sorry. am in the southernmost part of India. State called Kerala. We market it as God's own country :)

That's good to hear. Less of a headache for me then. Now to hunt for a good tank.
I guess....well.....uhmmm.....yea......you might be a little further south than Florida then

LOL

Monsoon season is the winter? I thought winter was the dry season in the tropics?

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
I guess....well.....uhmmm.....yea......you might be a little further south than Florida then

LOL

Monsoon season is the winter? I thought winter was the dry season in the tropics?
Heh heh yea further south indeed :)

Na, monsoon happens in June-July and rest of the year is more or less humid and hot. North India goes through winter with sub 10 degrees and extreme heat as well. We are one weird country that way :p

Edit: Had gone over to my grandmother's place for lunch after a long time and found one of my old 4x2x2 tank lying there. Used to live with her before i got married and had converted my terrace into a fish room sort of thing. When i left had given up all the tanks and fishes except for a banjar red in a 180G. Found this tank up in the attic.

Yay me :D

Must have been 5yrs or so. Need to get it down and check it out. If all is well then i get a nice upgrade over my current tank in the flat. But have to get a stand done.

So much to do. Fun times indeed.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Cant you just move your existing filters onto tht e new tank ? If your existing filters have been up and running for some time and are already cycled your good to go.

Frank Castle Frank Castle im pretty sure that @Ishnsheik meant not to add fish day 1 with uncycled new filters. Which we all agree isnt the way to go lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store