Water Storage Tank

morepower16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
Those that use a storage tank for water for their water changes, do you put any equipment in their except a heater? How long do you leave the water in the tank before you use it?

Rio Kaiju

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2014
Lost In Space
I use old fish tanks with heaters and airstones in them. One of them I rigged up to allow the water to flow over peatmoss.

morepower16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
I currently heat up the water but have no air stone in the container. Is there a max amount of time I should let it sit with no water agitation? If I add an air stone how long can I leave it in the container?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; My practice over a few decades has been to allow the stored water to sit for around four days without an air stone. Not that four days is a magic number, but it has worked. According to my reading on this forum the air stone speeds up the process of the chlorine leaving the water, however I can not say by how much.

I do not heat the water. I store it in the heated area of the house which keeps it around ten degrees cooler than the tank water. Much will depend on the percentage of a water change. I tend to do around a 20% water change. If the stored water is much cooler than a tank I add it back into a tank in stages over several hours allowing the tank heaters to have time to work.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Old aquarium with heaters and air stones. My water sits for 6 1/2 days before use. Heaters are on timers and only come on the day before water change Sunday. My water is almost ice out of the tap this time of year. I've blown heaters in the past draining the tank for water changes and then refilling and flipping them on. The tank is in the heated part of the house so it gets within 10 degrees of the tanks and then I cook it the day before water changes.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just out of curiously why not just add seachem prime? I understand the temp situation but if it's close to your tank temp why store water?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I used to use barrels and totes when doing salt systems. Now I just scoop Seachem safe and let the hoses blast. Even at my house in Arizona which has Rock hard water and high ph I do it this way.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Just out of curiously why not just add seachem prime? I understand the temp situation but if it's close to your tank temp why store water?
Hello; Prime or Safe are options of course. The subject of the thread is water storage and that has been my most used method for over five decades. I was changing water with good results before I knew of Prime or Safe.

Reasons for doing water storage might include that in some parts of the world the stuff is not available. The nearest source for me has often been 60 to 100 miles away. (I also started changing water before the internet shops existed.) Why rely on a product you do not actually need if it may be hard to come by at times?

Prime costs money. Not a great deal of money I will grant, but some cost.

One reason I like having many gallons of stored water around is it might be a supply of potable water in an emergency.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store