Refugium for Brackish Moray Tank Needed?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Well, they are in fresh water for now, as juveniles or yearlings or whatever but I eventually want to graduate them to Brackish since I read that's best for them.....Do I need a refugium or will my tank be just fine without it or what? I never did SW or Brackish, I know very little about them if any aside from species ID and fishing for them lol......so please be gentle with me haha

I also saw the thread about tankmates for Gymnothorax tiles, and I was thinking Tinfoil Catfish/Silver-tipped "Shark".....will the disturb and stress out the morays or will the 2 nocturnal critters enjoy each others' company or what?....or will they try to swallow the catfish and die from spine-impalement?
:( I always liked the Tinfoils, I just never wanted to go through the trouble of doing a Brackish tank for A catfish, but now since I have a good reason.................... :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tete_sea_catfish <======== this is what I meant so as not to get it confused with the other 25 fish called by the same 7,000 common names LOL

Last edited:

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
No refugium is needed. If you will like the benefits of nutrient reduction through growing algae put some in your display tank. If I was you I would go full salt instead of brackish. You will enjoy it.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
No refugium is needed. If you will like the benefits of nutrient reduction through growing algae put some in your display tank. If I was you I would go full salt instead of brackish. You will enjoy it.
Not really doing it as a result of "wanting saltwater", I'm doing it as a result of buying Gold-spotted Morays and it all says they prefer Brackish water, u dig me? Some day maybe, but for now I don't really want anything in SW with the size tanks I'm working with.....If I really get into SW, I want to go all-or-nothing and have a stupid-crazy-ridiculous tank with Blacktips or Lionfish or something loony.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Gs morays don't seem as bothered by tank mates as much as other so called fw morays so I would get only 1 or 2 cats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store