12x4 Plywood garage build thread

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I have been pretty much at a stand still recently but yesterday I got my glass in! picked it up as well as the acrylic to make the chambers for the K1. I also went around town and picked up every pot scrubber I could find for the first chamber prior to entering the K1 chamber. I have 18" bubble walls to help create the movement in the K1 area so hopefully when I fill it up I can test it and be happy with how the sump performs.

Glass should be going in tomorrow

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
And the glass is in! There is a 1.5 inch edge overlapping with the wood on each side of the tank. I have my heaters inside of the tank with the lids closed as much as they can be with the clamps to help cure the silicon. Just a few more days till test time!

I also have all of the chambers built for the sump and put in place but I will need probably another 2 cubic feet of K1 to make a good chamber.

Reactions: Danh

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
And so it begins . . . . . . .

With the light on you can really see my drips from painting the interior. This is just a temporary light stolen off of one of the other tanks to better let me see what's going on during fill up.

So far so good though, no noises from filling or expansion, no flex and so far a good seal.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Good news bad news. So far zero leaks out of the tank but I do have a small leak at the hose/heater connection, should be quick fix.

Bad news is I did not drill enough holes in my sump chambers to allow a proper flow of water through to move the K1. I need to go back to the drawing board on this one, I tried to replicate the king of DIY on one of his videos but I am not seeing any movement

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Ran the heater for about 8 hours, went from 46 to 67 which isn't bad and hopefully it's got another 10 degrees in it. Ended up shutting everything off because I will be gone for the next week. Also ordered a second pump to run through the heater exclusively because I had to scale back way to much from the main system to get adequate water flow through the heater. It will be better to have a back up anyways.

Reactions: Danh

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Well the tank now has it's first inhabitant. It took about a day to go from 44 degrees to 79 set on 2kw instead of the 3kw max.

This is a terrible picture but the ray has about a 17" disc and finally has the room she needs. Looking very thin and chewed on a bit from my male so this break will be nice for her I hope.

Reactions: kno4te

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I have to say, I was a bit skeptical back on page 1 but this turned out brilliantly! Congrats on the build mate.

Reactions: mscamp02

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Wow that was a fast build! I'm moving soon and my ray tanks will be relocated to the garage so the heating/winter insulation is very interesting to me.

You're not planning to section that portion of the garage off at all, even temporarily for winters? You guys may have slightly milder winter weather down in Kentucky though.

Reactions: mscamp02
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store