Imperial Royal Loach: 6 months later

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I've had this 8" Imperial Royal Loach (Elongata) for 6 months now. It hides all the time, never seen it eat! Lives with 20 clown loaches, a few peaceful cichlids, large fei feng, archerfish, 4 moray eels, 1 pleco. Plenty of driftwood to hide, some sand, temperature around 80F, moderate dim lighting,80% water changes/weekly. The community eats freeze dried krill, sinking/floating pellets (hikari, nls.) I typically just feed with the lights on then drop some more after and turn off the lights for the rest of the night so the Royal loach could possibly come out and eat.

I've decided to slowly lower the temp to 75-77F, since I'm not concerned with ich, as I haven't been buying any new fish. I've read that cooler temps may help make it less shy, while others tell me it's simply their or personality. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I've had this 8" Imperial Royal Loach (Elongata) for 6 months now. It hides all the time, never seen it eat! Lives with 20 clown loaches, a few peaceful cichlids, large fei feng, archerfish, 4 moray eels, 1 pleco. Plenty of driftwood to hide, some sand, temperature around 80F, moderate dim lighting,80% water changes/weekly. The community eats freeze dried krill, sinking/floating pellets (hikari, nls.) I typically just feed with the lights on then drop some more after and turn off the lights for the rest of the night so the Royal loach could possibly come out and eat.

I've decided to slowly lower the temp to 75-77F, since I'm not concerned with ich, as I haven't been buying any new fish. I've read that cooler temps may help make it less shy, while others tell me it's simply their or personality. Any tips? Thanks in advance!
I think they are just a shy fish that likes to hide a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store