My thorichthys helleri tank and hello

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Amazing tank. I'm really impressed. I want to do something similar but on a bit smaller scale.

Do you mind telling me what the dimensions of the tank are? It must be pretty big to have 11 Thorichthys helleri in there.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Amazing tank. I'm really impressed. I want to do something similar but on a bit smaller scale.

Thanks,
The tank is 4 foot by 18 inches wide.
thorichthys do best in groups and are happy with their own kind.Pairs will spawn surprisingly close to each other and will make Do with very small territories.
However I would not attempt keeping any of the thorichthys group in tanks any smaller.

Do you mind telling me what the dimensions of the tank are? It must be pretty big to have 11 Thorichthys helleri in there.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I would have guessed your tank is bigger. I'm going to set up a 2'x4' and wasn't sure how many fish I can go.

Also, I've heard people say it's better to have a pair with these but you are obviously having success with a large group. What do you think is the minimum number to have in a group setup?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I have found that the bigger the number of fish in the group,the less they will fight.
Obviously you need to consider the bio load on the tank and still give the fish enough room.
A few years ago I had 6 thorichthys meeki in a 7 footer. I had 2 males and 4 females. The most dominant male became a real bully to the other meeki and became a real pain.
I decided to try the large group approach and put 20 meeki in there.I must of had around 6 or 7 males.The tank was very peaceful. The meeki spawned without any issues.Sometimes I would have several pairs breeding away at the same time.The fish would display at one another and puff their gills out,but there was never any serious fighting.
if your tank is 4 foot x 2 foot a group of around 8 to 12 would be a good number. Ideally you want more females than males, say 3 males the rest female.
It may sound like a lot.We are used to hearing about keeping c/a cichlids in pairs.This does not apply to all c/a cichlids.Some live in groups or colonies in the wild and if tank space allows, do well like it in captivity.
Only the males will get to 6 inches body length the females will remain smaller so a group of about 10 should be nice for your tank.

I have found Thorichthys helleri to be the most peaceful of the ones I have kept.
Thorichthys maculipinnis I have found to be the most aggressive. Thorichthys meeki fall somewhere in-between but are rarely that much trouble.
If you decide to try the group approach I would advise you keep them as the only cichlids in the tank.
Thorichthys tend to come off badly if other cichlids decide to pick on them.They are not well equipped for self defence and can end up with damaged and dislocated mouths.
Ideal tank mates would be livebearers, these would also be found together in the wild.
Some thorichthys like different conditions to others some like very cool well oxygenated water and are sensitive to nitrates. Others like thorichthys meeki are hardier and like it a bit warmer.It is a good idea to do your homework before you choose which thorichthys species you want to keep.
They do make fascinating cichlids to keep especially in groups.
Good luck with your tank if you go down this route.
You won't be disappointed.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I forgot to mention.I have always found they do well in a well decorated scape.
Provide plenty of hiding places for the less dominant members of the group.

DSC_0246.JPG

They will also appreciate a sandy substrate to dig around in like they do in nature.

DSC_0307.JPG

They also pose little risk to plants,these are also good for creating line of sight breaks.Another aid in diluting aggression

2013-02-06 20.38.34.jpg

Hornwart is a good hard water loving plant for c/a tanks,I use it left floating.It grows fast and is a good cover for livebearer fry.

Below I have used hornwort and nymphia lotus lily's. There are quite a few lotus type lily's growing in many c/a habitats.The one I have used is an African species but is good mimic for some found in Mexico.

Meeki group and plants ccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg

I have no plants in the tank below but use algae covered branches hanging in from above. This also helps with line of sight breaks and makes the upper levels of the tank more interesting.

_20151115_075844.JPG

_20160116_175140.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store