New arrowana...

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
Got my little silver in a 36g tank for a few weeks to keep a close eye on it. Filtration is an over the back whisper 60 and an aquatop cf500-uv. Figure im turning close to 600g a hour. Small power head set up for current, as it houses my motoro pup as well. Once everyone is settled down, I'll be moving them to grow out in a 150g tank. Might have to add another filter at threat point. Should buy me a year to 18 months, then I'll be building a plywood tank in the basement. Is that timeframe realistic or will I need to rehome earlier? First arrowana, so advice is welcome.

image.jpeg

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Nice fish. Mine went from 7-8" to 20" in under a year, they can grow fast. Had it in a 55g for about 3 months, then into a 500g where it should stay for life.

Reactions: Jrp0405

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
Nice fish. Mine went from 7-8" to 20" in under a year, they can grow fast. Had it in a 55g for about 3 months, then into a 500g where it should stay for life.
Oh wow, that's quicker than I expected. I'm hoping to have my 150 up soon, I was hoping for a year out of it. If not I'll have to get busy with the chop saw lol

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
they can also grow slowly, really depends on feeding and water quality, you can control growth through feeding if you are in process of getting bigger tank, arowana don't need to eat everyday once they are past 6" mark, they can go a few days/weeks with out eating.

better to under feed then over feed a silver Arowana.

whenever you go to increase the amount you feed, just build up slowly.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It isn't good to starve a growing fish. Bad advice. A 7" aro going weeks without food is ridiculous. They're still sensitive till about a foot.

Reactions: arowanaman85

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
It isn't good to starve a growing fish. Bad advice. A 7" aro going weeks without food is ridiculous. They're still sensitive till about a foot.
Temperature size and genetics dictate metabolism, but 2 weeks with out food with a 6-7" arowana probably isn't a good regular feeding schedule, but shouldn't kill an other wise healthy arowana. It may actually refuse food for that period after a move any way.

But a 6" arowana is by no means out grown a 150g either.
An arowana could live at and stay close to 1' for over a year in that setup. I wouldn't use 2 weeks as a normal feeding schedule, but I've had silver go a few weeks at that size with out harm. Though personally I feed mine every other day.

Last house move I was on a once a week to once every other week that I was home and able to feed my fish over a 4 month period while I was renovating new house and setting up new tank, didn't lose any fish. Though the smallest arowana I had then was closer to 8" at the start, and grew maybe 1-2" with that feeding schedule over 4 months, had temperature at 72f. After moving I slowly raised temp up to 83f, and increased feedings with temperature, in the first month at 83 had the same 1-2" growth that I had in the 4 months prior.

I personally wouldn't but you could keep it in the 150g for 18 months-life, don't see it being a problem, long as your parameters are stable and you have a good lid. Keep temps down and growth will slow. Fish live longer, grow slower and have lower aggression at lower temps (based on range for species).

Down side to lower temp is disease also lives longer, grows slower. So an outbreak takes longer to fix, nitrification/de-nitrification(assuming you have this) takes larger quantities of bacteria for the same mass at lower temps.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
When I had a silver I kept it at 79 Fahrenheit, got it at around 5-6", kept in a 120 over the course of maybe 6 months or so, it got to 13-15" and I got rid of it. The OP has year maybe year and a half in this tank if he takes care of the fish properly which he should plan to do, you shouldn't get a fish and plan to mistreat it to your benefit, your situation was obviously different, but I don't think you should recommend it, only share it. This is a tropical fish, so no it won't live longer at lower temps, the reason for slower growth and aggression not that silvers are really aggressive, is because you're causing the heart to slow down. Most people find their aros eat within the first week. I wouldn't recommend trying to slow growth by that much, that's like purposely stunting a fish which in turn purposely shortens it's life, your 4 month period wasn't to long but planning to do it for over a year is simply unfair to the fish, it's the OPs fish he'll do what he wants with it, but I don't recommend slowing the growth. Just my opinion. a healthy aro can grow 2 inches per month. So say 6 inches now, in a year+ it should be 2' easy, silvers are flexible, so depending on your dimensions you can get away with slightly longer but you'll see how crowded it'll look and I don't think you'll like it. Others have reported growing there's to 2' in a year from a small size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store