180 g planted substrate

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hey all I am in the planning process of my 180g. First and foremost I need to decide on the substrate. I am leaning towards florite as it will not alter the PH. I am trying to decide if I should do two inches with a one inch samd layer on top or if I should just go with three inches of florite. I would like to achieve a carpet effect in some areas. Which would you say is the best to achieve this? I am open to other suggestions as well. Thank you all for the assistance.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
thanks for the reply. Do you know of any techniques to be able to great hills and slopes? That is really where i would be looking to carpet. With some kind of driftwood center piece.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ that works, also, cutting sturdy (but thin) plastic sheets also works so you can form shapes etc between areas...

Rocks is another method to hold certain areas in place while you pile dirt behind it...

Reactions: Manu8__too

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thank you very much for the assistance. I will keep you all I posted on how the tank turns out. I am going to order the substrate offline to try to cut down on the cost. I am probably about a week out from filling up the tank. So know I am onto figuring out the fish and plants that will be going in. I am considering discus but I am non committal on the subject. I did gar in a planted tank before. They were fine aside for the fact they would constantly uproot plant when they were eating. Thank you again.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
For creating hills and slopes most people will get womens pantyhose, then fill them with regular gravel and then cover them with plant substrate for a hill.

I just imagined all of the single guys that you influenced to go out and wait in line at the dollar store with panty hose in their hands. "They're not or me..." they will say.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
If you use pantyhose, then it'll be tough to keep that area from developing dead spots. MTS cannot reach it, and you can't keep it clean or plow it under during gravel vac. Not a good idea in my book.

As for the glosso carpet: whoa. You'll need some serious lights to keep that from growing upwards in a 2ft tall tank... I'm not saying it's impossible, but from my own experience in an 80 gal tank, it's pretty darn tough to keep it look good and stay flat.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
to save cost a little" wy not use a 2-3 cm of Tropica growth substrate with normal black sand or micro gravel :)

iv found florite to be little sharp on edges"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store